• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Update: Got the mount back! Big deer hit. Wish me luck!

I'm bow hunting in Fulton county and put an arrow in the biggest deer of my life about two hours ago.

It was a slightly quartering on shot and I must have caught part of the shoulder blade because the arrow didn't go all the way through. It was also slightly up hill. He was with a group of four other bucks and they all scattered at the shot. He went about 30 yards and stopped. I was waiting for him to go down, but he didn't. To make a long story short, over the next hour I watched him and the other deer that had come back to him. When they moved out of sight I did an end run to get in front of them and did, but to far away to get another shot. I think I know where he went down and have decided to leave him until morning.

I really don't understand why he didn't die quickly. I got a very good look at where he is hit and there are a few inches of arrow sticking out right at the back edge of the shoulder and about midway between his back and brisket. I should have got a good hit on at least one lung and probably both.

The only thing I can figure is that the arrow has sealed the internal injuries, so it's taking him a long time to bleed out. He never knew I was there and the only time he spooked was that 30 yards he ran at the shot. The rest of the time he was walking... very slowly, with lots of pauses. At one point he had completely stopped and I was waiting for him to bed down, but two of the younger bucks actually came back and got him. This happened after I did the end run.

I know some will ask, so:

62lbs
125gr Muzzy
XX75 Aluminum

It's going to be a long night.
That is why I quit bow hunting.

Damn, it's almost 9:30. My ass would of been on it at first light!! You boys need to get a move on!!!

That is why I quit bow hunting.

For the past few years I have forced myself to only take 20 yard shots and closer, and always broadside, or very close to it. It takes a lot of discipline but it has worked for me. I haven't lost a deer with a bow since I went with this method.

Still waiting and hoping for good news, Bear.

Back
Top Bottom