• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got the DD MK18 Upper. Now what?

nSquared

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
6   0
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm one of those that took advantage of the MK18 upper on Brownells. I've been sitting on a PSA pistol upper for over a year that was bought for me as a gift. The gf reminds me every so often about the wasted gift so, I decided to finally do something with it.

I'm looking for middle to high end spectrum part ideas. However, I'm not interested in throwing money away so, I'm hoping to hear thoughts on parts where you get what you pay for. I'm not a brand fanatic. But to be honest, I'll gladly pay for peace of mind.

I haven't decided what I'm going to do in regards to the rear of the lower, meaning blade or brace. I'm, more focusing on the upper at this point. With that being said, I am in need of a BCG, a charging handle and, compensator/muzzle brake.

Starting at the BCG, I'm eyeballing one from BCM. However, I do ask myself at times if it is THAT much better than a PSA premium that I can get for less than half the cost. I won't say anymore. You guys get where I'm going with this.

Thoughts?

Just get a BCG with a Carpenter 158 bolt and get a BCM gunfighter CH, BCM makes great stuff. As far as the muzzle device, it depends on what you want, less flash? less muzzle rise?

I would suggest the following parts for a good compromise between Price/performance

BCG: Toolcraft NIB BCG from Tom's tactical. Toolcraft OEM's A LOT of manufactors bcgs. They are an excellent option for the price and are half the cost of a BCM bcg. You can save a little more by just getting the nitride version but I find NiB to be much quicker to clean.

http://www.tomstactical.com/toolcraft-bcg-nickel-boron-ar-15-bcg-m16-auto

Charging handle: Radian Raptor LT. Great ambidextrous charging handle. Alternatively grab a Geissele if you want to spend more or a BCM if you want to spend less

https://sunnystateoutdoors.com/products/radian-raptor-lt-ambidexrous-charging-handle?_ke=amFzb25tYXJhaWFAYW9sLmNvbQ==

^ use code 2018 to get the charging handle for $49 shipped

Muzzle device: Just get a cheap a2 muzzle device, muzzle brakes/comps have a lot of concussion on a barrel that short.

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

So you haven't built out a PSA upper pistol so you bought a mk18 upper? You're an ODTer for sure.
Not sure I understand your logic. So, I should waste money building something I wouldn't want, in order to build something I would?

This isn't exactly a dream build. If it was, I wouldn't be placing it on a psa lower. I'm doing so as to not dishonor a gift. Of course, the magic is all up top. In a dream build, I'd get only what I want. That's not a problem. At times, I can be ridiculous that way. This is an attempt at not doing so. I asked for thoughts so, opinions are definitely welcome.

You bought a quality upper, if it was me I would want to put a quality BCG in it. I have BCM, Daniel Defense, LMT, Palmetto State premium ones (but I've had them a while so don't know how the current products are holding up) and an AIM Surplus 'mil spec' one.
So far I haven't had a problem from any of them but I always recommend BCM, LMT when you can find them, or Daniel Defense. I wouldn't go cheap on the BCG.
Charging handle? Meh, whatever works for you that comes from a reputable source.
Muzzle device? A2 until you decide if you are going to suppress later. I have plain vanilla flash hiders on everything but a couple of uppers. I have a Battle Comp 1.5 on a 16" midlength upper only because I caught it on sale. It works but I don't need one on every upper.

Not sure I understand your logic. So, I should waste money building something I wouldn't want, in order to build something I would?

This isn't exactly a dream build. If it was, I wouldn't be placing it on a psa lower. I'm doing so as to not dishonor a gift. Of course, the magic is all up top. In a dream build, I'd get only what I want. That's not a problem. At times, I can be ridiculous that way. This is an attempt at not doing so. I asked for thoughts so, opinions are definitely welcome.

I was just messing with you. The BCG is one of the most critical components. Would a PSA BCG potentially last as long as a BCM or DD? Maybe, but I wouldn't cheap out since you already have a DD upper. DD BCGs go on-sale from time-to-time for $150 or a BCM is also quality. I'd get one of those 2 for a BCG. A basic CH and A2 flash-hider are fine. If you really want an upgraded CH, the BCM CH are pretty much the standard for an upgraded one.

Back
Top Bottom