• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gracie Jiu Jitsu for my Grandson

Bear44

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
213   0
Reaction score
My grandson has been going to a "martial arts" class for over a year and it's a complete joke. Just a bunch of kids jumping around and learning very little. That includes learning very little about the ideas of respect and self discipline. His mother (my daughter) and I have been at odds about his participation in that class, but it's her decision, so I haven't pushed about it much. Last week she finally saw the light and asked me to look for a different class for him.

He just had his first class at Tiger Academy and everyone is very pleased. Including him. I'm very impressed with the owner and head instructor, Eddie Camden. This guy is a true bad ass. He has instructed both the Rangers and SEALS. Tiger Academy is the only Forth Level (highest) certified Gracie Jiu Jitsu school in the State, so it's safe to say he knows how to teach this very legit fighting style.

Just as impressive was his ability to teach these young kids. My Grandson learned more about Martial Arts respect, self discipline and real fighting skills in this one 45 minute class than everything he learned from the other school combined. And he had a blast doing it. Mr. Camden is most definitely one of the most skilled Martial Arts instructors I've ever seen in every respect.

I used to teach TKD and hated every minute of it except on Saturdays. I wanted to make the class fun and teach basic boxing, throws and take downs, things kids found interesting and could actually build off of but I was always shut down by the boss. I was ordered to teach forms(kata's) continuously. On Saturdays when I was there alone the students got to choose what we covered and it was always fun
JiuJitsu or Judo are excellent choices for real world defense arts

Eddie is a very good instructor and BJJ is a good style. I always promote cross training with everything, and can learn something from any style. Use what works and throw the rest aside. BJJ and other styles that are primarily grappling are quite one dimensional, however, and not as effective vs multiple opponents as say, Muay Thai. Cross training in both stand up and ground fighting is essential to being a more complete fighter. Eddie will most assuredly agree. The best submission is a hard straight right! Most BJJ gyms these days offer kickboxing as well. Not a bad idea to consider both, and in my experience, it is easier to transition from stand up to ground fighting vs the other way around. Some folks are different, however, so that is not gospel.

Good luck to him! I'm glad you found a competent teacher!

Bjj is definitely my first choice, and Muay Thai would be my first choice for a cross training martial art.

Bear44, MRH... One of you two needs to change your avatar, lol.

Eddie is a very good instructor and BJJ is a good style. I always promote cross training with everything, and can learn something from any style. Use what works and throw the rest aside. BJJ and other styles that are primarily grappling are quite one dimensional, however, and not as effective vs multiple opponents as say, Muay Thai. Cross training in both stand up and ground fighting is essential to being a more complete fighter. Eddie will most assuredly agree. The best submission is a hard straight right! Most BJJ gyms these days offer kickboxing as well. Not a bad idea to consider both, and in my experience, it is easier to transition from stand up to ground fighting vs the other way around. Some folks are different, however, so that is not gospel.

Good luck to him! I'm glad you found a competent teacher!
Did you see who he got to meet last Saturday.

Royce.jpg

Royce Gracie! It was kind of awesome to shake that man's hand.

Bjj is definitely my first choice, and Muay Thai would be my first choice for a cross training martial art.

Bear44, MRH... One of you two needs to change your avatar, lol.
We've decided we like sowing chaos and are going to leave them as is. :evil:

Did you see who he got to meet last Saturday.

View attachment 1966810
Royce Gracie! It was kind of awesome to shake that man's hand.

Royce is also a gun enthusiast. He shot in a Glock competition down in Griffin a couple years back, along with R Lee Ermey.

I've met Rickson, Royler, Carlson Jr, and Renzo, but never met Royce. Very cool!

Royce is also a gun enthusiast. He shot in a Glock competition down in Griffin a couple years back, along with R Lee Ermey.

I've met Rickson, Royler, Carlson Jr, and Renzo, but never met Royce. Very cool!
Down to earth guy, too. He was a little late for the class he was teaching because he helped Eddie change his wife's flat tire. He wouldn't shake hands until he washed them. Like I cared. LOL!

Back
Top Bottom