• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Grandmother's house comes down!

People are always resistant to change. I almost cried when my grandfather's house was torn down by the new owners. Life is about change and the fact that you decided to tear the house down is none of those Jack Wads business.

People are always resistant to change. I almost cried when my grandfather's house was torn down by the new owners. Life is about change and the fact that you decided to tear the house down is none of those Jack Wads business.
Thank you for getting it. It just kinda chapped me when people I don't know started stopping and demanding to know why I was doing this. I didn't enjoy seeing my grandma's house being torn down, but I couldn't afford to restore it and it was no longer safe to even go in it what with the floors falling in.

This had rough sawn 4x4 framing on 2ft centers in the walls and some big wooden beams holding the floor system. Pretty amazing that something built on stacked up rocks could stand for so many years. And yes we salvaged several of the beams. You can still see the marks from the sawmill blade in them.
Amazing that something could be built so well and stand so long without ridiculous government enforced building codes. Cool that you salvaged what you could from it.

Guys, you would not believe the number of jackwads that have stopped over the weekend and berated me for tearing this down. SMDH!!!
us.cdn283.fansshare.com_photos_clinteastwood_getoffmylawn_gran_torino_1706175706.jpg

Well just settled up and the cost for the demo, clean up, hauling all the debris away, dressing up the ground,and spreading hay was $4K. I got several estimates before starting this and the closet one to this guy was $10K so I'm pretty happy with it.View attachment 998546
Only thing left is the old concrete kitchen porch with the well that was added in 1943.

thats a good deal

... I understand. Sometimes an old building has to die a natural death. Or, in this case, it's more like the 95 year old guy in hospice care getting a few extra doses of morphine to send him over the edge.
No need to let this house suffer the indignity of actually having the roof fall in and trees grow up through the front porch.

View attachment 998343

Turned into a chia pet house ...lol

Back
Top Bottom