• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Grandson wants a motorcycle for Christmas

Any sub 100cc 4 stroke from the name makers would be fine as a starter bike. As mentioned, getting the size right makes learning much easier, but it'll be too small quickly, be prepared to sell it on and change up in a year or so.

Look on CL, because kids grow out of them so quickly there's a steady stream of decent buys there.

Here's a pic of @Ken Ford riding his Grom. Kinda expensive for a first bike, but they're good for tweens though 80 year olds.

honda-grom-action-56a6541c3df78cf7728c6d5f.jpg

For a skinny 10 year old novice rider, I'd get him a 50 cc like this Honda 50R:

I had one when I was 18 years old and about 190 lbs. It worked fine for light trail riding, just not going up crazy steep hills or jumping ramps. For fairly level terrain, it would pull my teenage weight.

WHen I started riding pretty steep trail systems in North Georgia, I tried a 110 and 125, and finally settled on a Yamaha 250 for myself as an adult rider.

P.S. Who cares if the kid will "outgrow" a 50 cc in a few years (he'll probably be able to handle an 80 or 100 cc bike based on his skill level after a couple of years, even if his body would still fit the 50).
Sell the 50 and buy a bigger bike!

Don't buy the wrong size bike now and expect him to learn on it.

themotorbikeshop.weebly.com_uploads_5_4_1_3_54134395_3171440_orig.jpg

Need my buddies Honda CRF- 70, perfect for novice riders.

PM me for pics.

He could hang with us 310 and 450 guys on the trail.

Just moved him up to a 80.

He wants one for Christmas, not happening most likely.
If he gets one at all it will be up to me.

Someone suggested used KTM 50 Senior.

Any thoughts?

Hes not a big kid, novice rider, 10 years old
Dang man, I was just about to make you a good deal on a Yamaha Roadstar 1700. Lol! J/K Merry Christmas!

Back
Top Bottom