grind down mag release button

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
3A1C9178-1EAF-4965-A51B-C38E42D90BD3.jpeg
4088AA0C-3034-4022-9A9B-C537E663F600.jpeg

Over the years I've had a few guns that had overly sensitive magazine release buttons.
One of them I replaced the button and that helped the problem.
Another gun, I just sold the gun and let it be somebody else's problem -- or maybe it would not be a problem at all for him depending on how he used it how he carried it or what model holster he used.

For two other guns I have actually taken a Dremel tool and ground down the magazine release button so it doesn't stick out so far and cannot be so easily pressed against my body or the holster to release it. It can still be pressed with your bare fingers or a fingernail, no tools required, but it takes more of a concentrated effort and isn't as fast as popping out the mag had been.

For small semi auto pocket-size pistols, I don't usually carry a spare magazine anyway so I'm not so worried about being able to do a tactical mag swap in combat.

PS: On the Kel-Tec P 32 and P3AT pistols, I can buy a replacement magazine release button for less than two dollars.
So, returning the gun to its factory original condition, maybe for a future sale or trade, is an easy thing.

I've never had this problem. Maybe stiffer springs are available? I often like a larger button on all my guns. But l don't have big hands. I've wondered/worried about it on my 43. But I've never dropped a mag pulling it out of the holster.

I've had that problem, but my mag release was hitting the holster so I relieved the holster in that area so it couldn't depress the mag release so easily.

If the holster I used was boned, or formed to all the lines and ridges of the gun, I could grind-out a divot where the mag release button would go. But in this soft pocket holster, the gun can shift around several millimeters, and a big hole that accounts for position-shifting wouldn't stop my thigh meat from pushing the button in by accident, any time there's pressure on my leg or I bump into something with my thigh.

I was modding mag release before companies were offering custom ones.

Got an extended mag release from a G17L for my G22. Cut down so that it was longer than the standard, but shorter than the extended, then textured the surface. Worked great in a Safariland SSII duty holster.

Wilson makes a huge, extended mag release for a 1911. It was wider and longer than a needed, and the checkering was super sharp. I trimmed it back to what I needed in a USPSA Single Stack gun, and knocked the points off the checkering. Worked like a champ.

Ed Brown made a huge extended cylinder release for the S&W revolver. I’ve cut them down for use in custom builds.

Back
Top Bottom