• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GSG 522 vs H&K MP5 22

Piglatinhater

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
82   3
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with either? I will want to SBR it at some point.

Thoughts so far:

GSG 522
Pros
-$270 out the door
-Already a pistol version
-Can immediately run a can
-Tons of airsoft compatibility
Cons
-Poly trigger group/body
-Hit or miss for reliability, mainly hit
-Tons of airsoft compatibility

H&K (Made by Umarex)
Pros
-$360 out the door
-Maybe metal trigger group/body, I haven't been able to confirm it
-Licensed copy
Cons
-No pistol version available, so +$100 to cut dow/thread barrel
-Maybe metal trigger group/body, I haven't been able to confirm it
-Cannot instantly run a can

way too much plastic on the GSG for my liking.
Also as a general rule, I find that when deciding between two options, I end up being happier when I purchase the higher quality item. My only real complaint is that magazines are ridiculously expensive, but that's a minor issue.

So I went with the GSG-5P. I only wanted this for the cool factor to pair with my Dobbs Defense ARC22. $270 from CDNN, +$20 for the HK clone kit.

2017-03-19 17.19.46.jpg

Despite having done a few hours of research, I found out no one sells an adapter for the 1/2×28. Because of the weird design of the GSG-5s barrel, you can't thread the barrel, you have to thread into the lower cocking tube housing ring. All the sellers on eBay/Amazon/the internet list their adapters as working for the GSG-5P but they will only work for the GSG-522 (carbine) or the GSG-5K (micro pistol). Only a handful of makers (ProMad/Gemtech) made the specific adapter for the GSG-5P. But none currently offer a thread adapter anymore. However I was able to find a seller with new-old stock 3 lug adapter that was suppose to be a direct fit. But it was an inch too long. Thanks @KGmade I was able to cut down/crown to make the adapter work.

20170221_183803.jpg

Final product:
2017-03-19 17.19.01.jpg

Overall, it was a ton of work. No, the HK clone kit was super easy to install. It was the task of tracking down an near unobtanium part which was the key to the whole project (a suppressed GSG-5). Just another reminder that when a specific new gun hits the market, it's OK to stash a few parts for it here and there even if you don't own it yet but you know you will at some point.
Originally I was leary because of the plastic, but literally the trigger group housing (grip, trigger guard, etc) and mag housing are the only main plastic components. The upper/barrel/cocking tube are metal. I handled the new C308/cetme and they are the same way.
I will be headed to the range this week for a review.

Back
Top Bottom