• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GSSF 9mm load suggestions

Slickelrod

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
181   0
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I have been shooting GSSF for about three years. Not very good but I'm getting better :cool:. I have been loading for about two years. The load I'm using is a 147g RN (plated) with a power factor of 124. Recently another competitive shooter told me that a 115g with a 120 power factor was all the rage. In talking to other competitive shooters a lot of them say they are shooting 124g bullets. My 147 loads are serving me well but I am always looking for something better. Your thoughts?
Thanks, Slick

I would not change anything before a match.

Most of the following is only my opinion based on a combination of personal experience and things that I have read and observed. Your experiences may differ.

I think most IPSC shooters will agree that the heavier bullets will seem like they have less recoil at a given power factor in an uncompensated barrel, the reverse being true for a compensated barrel. However, I do not remember GSSF being regulated by power factor. I remember it requiring the guns to be seperated into catagories that are based on the pistol model and the modifications that may or may not have been done to the gun.

A certain ammount of powder is needed to create enough gas to cycle the gun.

Since a lighter bullet will use more powder than a 147 grain bullet, in an unmodified gun, the lighter bullet can be loaded to a lower relative power level while allowing the gun to function. It will seem to have less recoil. However, you may still prefer the way your guns shoots with a heavier bullet.

All of this is a great way to de-rail a steady improvement in your shooting with a gun that jams. I would stick with the 147 load that you are using. But, if you must game it to enjoy it-not saying you feel that way, I would look for a 115 grain bullet, and one of the following powders: Universal Clays, AA#5, Unique, w231/HP38. If you want to stay with the 147 bullet for a super light load, try: Bullseye, Red Dot, TiteGroup, W231/HP38, 700x, Clays.

You could also, just reduce your load with a powder reduction, or simply stick a 135, 125, or a 115 on top of your current powder charge. Just make sure you test it for funtion on a cooler day than you plan to shoot it. Most powders make more power on hotter days.

The only way to make a Glock run well on super light loads is: Federal Primers, light striker spring, much lighter recoil spring, even reduce your mag spring pressure by only loading the number of bullets needed. Further mods would include lightining the slide. If the recoil spring is too light, a standard striker spring may allow the trigger pull to push the slide out of battery. So, be careful to dry fire your gun if you mess with the spring setup. Make sure the slide does not creep back as you pull the trigger.

Glad to see someone else taking GSSF seriously as a sport. I've been practicing for GSSF all summer. Only shot two matches so far, first one I placed like 120th, the last one I placed 24th. Next one I think I will place higher. My go to load has been 124 cast bullets over 4.0 grains of VV N320. These chrono at exactly 130 pf. Will load delta precision 124 JHP over 4.2gr N320 for the same PF to use in actual competition. In the testing I've done so far, accuracy really suffers at 25 yards when I drop down to 125 power factor. GSSF penalizes misses more heavily than any other speed-shooting sport.

I did throw together some experimental 95 grain loads this evening. Perhaps a G19 spring on a G17 rod would allow them to cycle, but I can't imagine I'll get the kinda accuracy the 124 grain loads produce. Here's some GSSF practice I did this morning, shot 5 to Glock clean with my best time so far :D

and plates practice the other evening:

The only way to make a Glock run well on super light loads is: Federal Primers, light striker spring, much lighter recoil spring, even reduce your mag spring pressure by only loading the number of bullets needed. Further mods would include lightining the slide. If the recoil spring is too light, a standard striker spring may allow the trigger pull to push the slide out of battery. So, be careful to dry fire your gun if you mess with the spring setup. Make sure the slide does not creep back as you pull the trigger.

Excellent post. The real power factor limit is based on exactly the above. Stock Glocks won't run super mouse farty loads. You can run any combination of parts as long as they were originally sold by Glock Inc. You can heavily polish internals, but that's the extent of mods allowed. Otherwise you end up in open class, which is not a place you wanna be.

G19 spring on 17 rods feels very similar to an ISMI 13 pound spring to me. Lighter striker spring is needed for safety for sure. Vanek' GSSF trigger kit uses a stock striker spring that's heavily polished. I polished my striker spring, and it seems to be wearing in a little lighter.

Great post Gloctapus and thank you for sharing the load you use. I too load VV N320 in my 147 plated Xtreme bullets. They work well for me at 3.4g. Loaded some 115's with 4.0g and these give me a 120PF. I do have some 124 FMJ's lying around so maybe I load them with your recipe and see what that does. My scores are in the 90's. Much better than when I started but could be lower. Karl

Make sure it will knock down plates at the match. Which can be provided by Glock or owned by the local range. I have seen more than 1 light loaded 115 hit a plate low and not knock a plate over. I use Blazer aluminum 124's for the plates.

Make sure it will knock down plates at the match. Which can be provided by Glock or owned by the local range. I have seen more than 1 light loaded 115 hit a plate low and not knock a plate over. I use Blazer aluminum 124's for the plates.

Good point! My 147's don't have that problem. I have a plate rack to test on. However, that doesn't mean that the one I'm shooting is the same. Thx

Tried my 95 grain mousefart load this morning. Brass dribbled out of the gun. Shot 2.5" group at 25 yards (except for one flier, probably me). But this was out of my KKM barrel. They caused stupid bad leading in OEM barrel. I think I'll stick with my trusty 124 grain bullet (which I cast 30 pounds of this afternoon).

Back
Top Bottom