• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Guess what I got to do today?

Take mine to Grainger , they test it and sell me a new one. Had two on outside unit. One was bad, but I went ahead and replaced both. Less than $25.

They are sized by microfarad. 35 for smaller units. 50 for Larger units like mine. There will be a max voltage rating but they are pretty standard. Anyone that sells them will know what you want. The first time I bought one. I got the specific part number so I know it would fit in the metal loop. This time I bought a cheap one $12. The metal was too big and I put a few kinks in it to tighten it up.
The prices for the same rated cap can go from $12 to $100. I bought a $50 brand name one last time and it only lasted 3 years.

I CHEATED, mine went out this weekend, replaced on Memorial Day by my son who works with this stuff daily and diagnosed the problem right away. Only problem was finding a replacement on a holiday. Hill's Ace Hardware in Winder had them and $19.25 later I was good to go.

WARNING....CAPACITORS WORK BY STORING SERIOUSLY LARGE AMOUNTS OF ELECTRICITY. DO NOT TOUCH THE CONTACTS!!! HANDLE VERY CAREFULLY, IT MIGHT HAVE ENOUGH "JUICE" TO KILL YOU...DEAD RIGHT THERE. THINK OF IT AS A HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY.

Back
Top Bottom