• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gumbo?

You're putting SUMMER sausage in gumbo? :confused:
I don't think I'd be doing that.... :suspicious:
I'm a chicken and sausage OR seafood only guy, but if you insist on mixing them, here's an authentic recipe.
http://www.jfolse.com/recipes/soups/seafood12.htm
And for the love of all that is holy, please do NOT put okra in your gumbo! :)
Made this last night and it was fantastic. Expensive to make, but DAMN good. Actually, about to warm up leftovers

Made this last night and it was fantastic. Expensive to make, but DAMN good. Actually, about to warm up leftovers
Yep, 4 pounds of seafood ain't cheap (I personally don't like oysters in gumbo) but it ought to last a while, and with the cold rains coming, it'll be the PERFECT meal. :cool:
FYI - Oddly enough, a common side for gumbo in Louisiana is.... potato salad. :)

Yep, 4 pounds of seafood ain't cheap (I personally don't like oysters in gumbo) but it ought to last a while, and with the cold rains coming, it'll be the PERFECT meal. :cool:
FYI - Oddly enough, a common side for gumbo in Louisiana is.... potato salad. :)
First, no okree, now no oysters. Are you sure you're Cajun?!?

Sent from my Droid Turbo using TapaTalk

I'll probably take a beating for this but this mix is really good. I do it with chicken and then throw in shrimp right at the end so you don't over cook them. Add diced onions, celery, and carrots. It's good stuff. It also makes a killer gravy for dirty rice. ba2095e8-a186-4d2d-9573-ed90ef1dee29_1.8b35a7017e6b35ab60086d111caddf60.jpg

I've eaten Gumbo till I left for the Army. The Gumbo my family fixed was a little different from the Cajun version. Ours was creole and they usually made File pronounced (FeeLay). The whole essence of Gumbo is the Roux,If you screw that up just forget it. My great aunt would keep me stirring the roux if she had to answer the door, with a warning you better not let it burn.
We also had okra gumbo which was great. I don't eat Okra other than Gumbo.
Now that everyone has passed away, that secret has gone. My wife can fix the File Gumbo.
Just for informations sake File is sassafras leaves put in an oven to dry out and then pounding it to powder which is green.
This can be added just before serving and requires only a half teaspoon or however you like it. It will thicken the gumbo very quickly and too much will make it stringy like leeks.
We made it with seafood and,or sausage, chicken. It's up to the cook. I'm from the panhandle of Florida and I have relatives in Louisiana. I grew up mostly in a Creole community.

Back
Top Bottom