• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Ban During Federally Declared Disaster

Even an innocent mistake can have the same effect as intentional propaganda and disinformation as a tool. As I said before, thank you for at least taking the time to correct them, but IMO, there are no 'innocent mistakes' or 'unintentional propaganda' on the part of ANY of our traditional, or local media in MSM - they are all committed leftists.

As I recall during Katrina, Mayor Nagin' goons went about confiscating guns in the name of the disaster and 'peace.' That action was later ruled unconstitutional by the USSC. More than likely it's the leftist government using extortion and intimidation on pain of withholding disaster support and funding unless the local governments abridge your constitutional rights. That's the way they've poisoned our schools.

I believe this is correct. Da' Mayor tried to use emergency powers to seize guns, going to the extent of having house to house searches, and every challenge prevailed. I don't believe a challenge reached the Supreme Court.

Just for S&Gs, do you believe if Ga tried the same thing during any of our many "disasters", it would have went the same way as LA? I'm not 100% certain, but I am 99.5% that it would not have. There's still a big difference even if most of the State seems to be liberal chicken****s except when on the www....

9A00C4D2-4B7E-4BAB-8CAB-70FD4FF58B8D.jpeg
Yesterday on WSB Radio news (95.5 FM in the Atlanta area),
they said that in the several Georgia counties that had been declared disaster zones, this not only opened them up to getting federal aid but ALSO allowed the government to disarm people in those counties that are under this emergency status.

I don't think that's right, and I've already written to the WSB reporter and the station's general manger about it.

See Georgia law, O.C.G.A. title 38, regarding governance during disasters and emergencies. Specifically, see 38-2-301 (the commander of the State militia, when the militia has been called out, does have the power to close gun stores and order that gun dealers stop selling firearms and ammunition. But that's not the same as taking guns away from citizens who already have them, or banning the carrying or transportation of firearms).

See also OCGA 38-3-37 which specifically states that Georgia cannot do what happened in Louisiana following Hurricane Katrina. Also note that while 38-3-51 formerly gave the Governor of Georgia power to make new gun restrictions during disasters, the legislature stripped that power from him in 2014, and the new subsection 8 no longer mentions such authority.

As to federal law, the wholesale disarmament of citizens in a natural disaster area was never authorized under any law, but because some state agents responding to the Katrina flooding wrongly assumed they had such power to shoot to kill any armed citizens they saw, and to forcibly search people's homes, over their objections, or weapons, Congress SPECIFICALLY banned any new gun control during federal disasters with a new law called the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act (of 2006), which modifies subsection 706 of the U.S. Code, title 42, section 5207.

In summary, the government DOES NOT have this much power, and they cannot trample on the Second Amendment that way as stated in the news broadcast yesterday.
If they try to disarm you just remember one thing

I know there's a lot of chest thumping in threads on different topics around here, but I promise you, you try and disarm this legal gun owner, and I suspect a lot of others, during a time of civil unrest, ..... and 'unrest' will get redefined in a hurry.
I agree. In other countries they would have DONE been at war with there governments.

Yesterday on WSB Radio news (95.5 FM in the Atlanta area),
they said that in the several Georgia counties that had been declared disaster zones, this not only opened them up to getting federal aid but ALSO allowed the government to disarm people in those counties that are under this emergency status.

I don't think that's right, and I've already written to the WSB reporter and the station's general manger about it.

See Georgia law, O.C.G.A. title 38, regarding governance during disasters and emergencies. Specifically, see 38-2-301 (the commander of the State militia, when the militia has been called out, does have the power to close gun stores and order that gun dealers stop selling firearms and ammunition. But that's not the same as taking guns away from citizens who already have them, or banning the carrying or transportation of firearms).

See also OCGA 38-3-37 which specifically states that Georgia cannot do what happened in Louisiana following Hurricane Katrina. Also note that while 38-3-51 formerly gave the Governor of Georgia power to make new gun restrictions during disasters, the legislature stripped that power from him in 2014, and the new subsection 8 no longer mentions such authority.

As to federal law, the wholesale disarmament of citizens in a natural disaster area was never authorized under any law, but because some state agents responding to the Katrina flooding wrongly assumed they had such power to shoot to kill any armed citizens they saw, and to forcibly search people's homes, over their objections, or weapons, Congress SPECIFICALLY banned any new gun control during federal disasters with a new law called the Disaster Recovery Personal Protection Act (of 2006), which modifies subsection 706 of the U.S. Code, title 42, section 5207.

In summary, the government DOES NOT have this much power, and they cannot trample on the Second Amendment that way as stated in the news broadcast yesterday.

I always appreciate your posts. Even when I don’t like your answer… of course not as much then, but still appreciate them.

Back
Top Bottom