• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Buy Back

The Gun Buy Back promoters embrace the philosophy that more guns=more crime and consistently ignore any positive benefit that an honest armed society offer.

They attempt to mislead the public through ignorance and bias. They condition the public as well, for turning in their firearms and that is a worrisome precedent.

What good came from the two NAACP sponsored Gun Buy Backs?

At least for the two conducted at Atlanta and College Park Georgia it put private money into the pockets of mostly an elderly crowd. Georgia citizens still retaining their rights were allowed to conduct "private" firearms transfers and saved guns destined to be destroyed.

Some continue to fed into the "No questions asked" mentality and worry that if they bought a gun there it would be stolen. It's a valid point and perception the GBB promoters, promote.

It's not illegal to freely buy a gun from another citizen (in a free state) unless the purchaser knows it is stolen. The numbers (0.3-1.8%) don't support the perception that these are stolen guns nor does the majority of the type of crowd reflect that. The FBI data reflects that most "crime guns" are stolen or straw sales which a background check will "NEVER" halt.

The commenters that some of the stolen guns were not reported or the citizen failed to record the serial numbers is valid but there is a tracking system in place and obtaining those serial numbers is not too difficult. Even if the gun was stolen but never reported as such, would we honestly want a fine firearm destroyed because of that or preserved?

I didn't see it but someone picked up a $70 Colt Diamondback. Here is this $50
Beretta (limited edition) that was saved from destruction. If one is honestly concerned have LEO run the numbers. Of the serial numbers of the guns that I know that were run, all came back clean but then I would expect that based on fact rather than fiction. Many just wanted the gun out of the home. You know, you are so much more at risk (the 43 times lie) at being hurt by your own gun than saved by it.

i40.tinypic.com_2nhku2t.jpg

A $100 bolt action 30-30.

i40.tinypic.com_fdc6wy.jpg

A $75 .44 magnum Winchester model 94 with a Redfield scope.

i41.tinypic.com_ermqvp.jpg

The $75 Taurus with clean numbers.

i44.tinypic.com_15p4si0.jpg

The $100 for the pair S&W and Colt revolvers.

i40.tinypic.com_2ed8fhd.jpg

Most of the people turning in guns were totally ignorant of what they had: "I have a .22" and it's a .410, "my father passed and it was in the closet, I don't know what it is, it's a gun". If I had a dollar for every person asked what they had and were completely lost, except "it's a gun" I could have picked up a butt load of ammo. The prices reflect that ignorance.

So what good came out of the Atlanta gun buy back? Not what the City, NAACP and religious leaders would have a naïve public believe. I can assure you that.

Back
Top Bottom