• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Check for Air Travel

Thought he was just talking about ga law
I open it to all states, because you fly from one to another. Example... You sure wouldn't want to fly to California with your 16 round mags...

But I digress... You would have to fly from one state to another, most likely, so state laws would come into play.

How about airports paying for enough cops? They cheap out and are more concerned with profits than safety/security. TSA is Not security and neither are rent a cops with pepper spray.
Go to europe, they have plenty of personnel with fully automatic weapons

Not that it's guaranteed to stop anything, but I can imagine the gun being ok's as baggage in the future, but not the ammo. A typical stop gap measure, would work in this case, but certainly not all.

You hunt out west, you'll need to ship your ammo to the lodge/guide before you head out.

Somebody's always going to find a hole in the system and exploit it.
And every time that happens it seems to me we lose a little "freedom", because the law makers will make a law to "fix" it. (Sorry for all the quotes....)

If they make it illegal to check guns and or ammo I will never fly again. I fly quite a bit for work too and almost always take my gun with me.

My Mom and Dad were in Jersey a 13 1/2 drive from here, that I did for years.
I flew it many times though.
After 9-11 Flying became such a hassle I learned to fly and bought a plane.

Parents have been gone for some time now, so I sold the plane.
Will still admit it was a helluva way to travel.
13 1/2 hours went down to 6, with 5 1/2 hours in the air.
We would leave at 7 and get there at 1 feeling fresh and ready to go.

I wish I still had it now that I'm so close to retirement, I'd like to see my country.
Shame when you've seen more foreign countries than states ...

It's an option, can take what you want.

My Mom and Dad were in Jersey a 13 1/2 drive from here that I did for years.
I flew it many times though.
After 9-11 Flying became such a hassle I learned to fly and bought a plane.

Parents have been gone for some time now, so I sold the plane.
Will still admit it was a helluva way to travel.
13 1/2 hours went down to 6, with 5 1/2 hours in the air.
We would leave at 7 and get there at 1 feeling fresh and ready to go.

I wish I still had it now that I'm so close to retirement, I'd like to see my country.
Shame when you've seen more foreign countries than states ...

It's an option, can take what you want.

As it is now I drive whenever I can. Takes me 2 hours to get to the airport, and I always get there at least 2 hours early. Figure another hour to get my bags and rental car on the other end and I'm at 5 hours travel not counting flight time. My general rule is I drive for anything under a 2 hour flight.

The firearm was secured as well as it could be. What this guy did was no different than if he had left the airport bought or stolen a gun and rode the bus back and shot up the baggage area where in ATL you are allowed to carry. I'm sure the media will make a big deal about it though.

I fly with a firearm frequently too and every airport, airline, and agent handles things completely differently. I am hoping we can get to national reciprocity and constitutional carry which would allow for consistency of procedure and consistent likelihood that a shooter like this would encounter an armed civilian long before he gets to even his first mag change!

Back
Top Bottom