• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Check for Air Travel

This is literally no different than driving up to the same airport and walking in with a weapon and attacking folks. The present system works well, and there is no reason to change it.

Unfortunately if you flag a bag as containing a gun, you are far more likely to have it 'lost' than used in a crime. That's exactly the reason they have to be unflagged, and not use TSA locks.

This is literally no different than driving up to the same airport and walking in with a weapon and attacking folks. The present system works well, and there is no reason to change it.

Unfortunately if you flag a bag as containing a gun, you are far more likely to have it 'lost' than used in a crime. That's exactly the reason they have to be unflagged, and not use TSA locks.

Since when can you declare a gun and not use TSA Locks? I have never checked a pistol, I assume it is the same procedure for checking a long gun?
Whether it's flagged or unflagged, I am pretty sure everyone one know's what's in a long hard case that say's Browning?

Since when can you declare a gun and not use TSA Locks? I have never checked a pistol, I assume it is the same procedure for checking a long gun?
Whether it's flagged or unflagged, I am pretty sure everyone one know's what's in a long hard case that say's Browning?

The gun must be locked, but the locks cannot be TSA locks.

I agree that this will once again be a foothold for the liberals to start to beat the drum for gun control. It is a damn shame this happened.. If there is any silver lining that I can see in this tragedy is, Thank God an AR was not used... That would be a Platform for which they would not stop on......

I travel throughout the country to hunt. It is a PITA to check a long gun and make sure you have TSA approved locks. Ammunition would obviously have to be sealed in a different check on. I have a feeling they will try to do exactly as an earlier post said, that's ammo may not be allowed in any check on bag....

Which makes it ripe for the pickens' in a gun free zone.. or a Ammo free zone I should say...

Ammo doesn't have to be in a different bag. I fly with mine in the same bag every time. Some airlines may require it, but the law does not.

Ammo doesn't have to be in a different bag. I fly with mine in the same bag every time. Some airlines may require it, but the law does not.

Thanks for clarifying.. I have only checked Rifles and Shotguns. I always separated ammo and left it in another check on. Delta is the only carrier I have used, I would go to the Special Member Services Counter, declare firearm and fill out paperwork. Then take the case/firearm to TSA they would review the paperwork, I would lock it, and see it on the otherside..

Thanks for clarifying.. I have only checked Rifles and Shotguns. I always separated ammo and left it in another check on. Delta is the only carrier I have used, I would go to the Special Member Services Counter, declare firearm and fill out paperwork. Then take the case/firearm to TSA they would review the paperwork, I would lock it, and see it on the otherside..

I have traveled many times with long guns , very easy and as you describe. Locked case with non TSA locks.
As I learned the hard way NEVER have ANYTHING firearm related in a carry on bag. Not a front sight, not a trigger part , NADA.

How about airports paying for enough cops? They cheap out and are more concerned with profits than safety/security. TSA is Not security and neither are rent a cops with pepper spray.
Go to europe, they have plenty of personnel with fully automatic weapons
the tsa is just glorified mall cops, perhaps hire ex-law enforcement or ex-military that are retired and let them carry loaded firearms

another step would be to permit profiling well still being decently respectful of the person whom is suspicious, I understand that sometimes innocent folks can look suspicious so let the cops/security be aware/proactive and not worry about being sued

The baggage claim area is OUTSIDE the "TSA security zone" right?
Therefore, even though this guy got his gun from within his checked luggage, he could just as easily come to this airport in a car, bus, or taxi, and brought his gun into the airport concealed on his person, with several extra magazines in his pockets or on his belt, and then began shooting people in and around the airport (any part of the airport he felt like walking to, and even "at" the TSA security checkpoint).

The fact that he flew into Ft. Lauderdale with his guns is NOT IMPORTANT to the story, and DID NOT allow him to perpetrate a crime that he otherwise would not have been able to accomplish.

This should be a non-issue as to allowing guns in checked baggage.

If the anti-gunners want to use this to call for more gun control, it would only help their cause if they focus on the mental health aspect of it.
The ex-soldier had previously said that he felt compelled to take up the ISIS cause and wanted to warn the FBI that he was being pulled in this direction. The FBI had local police take him to a mental hospital for evaluation.
Somehow, he came out of that experience without losing his gun rights or being flagged as a possible terrorist sympathizer.

Back
Top Bottom