• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun cleaning bench lighting: what to do?

Gucci Mane

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
38   0
Reaction score
I have to admit that every time I clean my guns, I really find myself lacking the amount of light I would like to have (so as to fully illuminate all those nooks and crannies).

Having said the above, I'd love to add a really great desk lamp to my cleaning bench, but I don't know where to start. I'm partial to LED lighting and I think it'd be great if the light output was adjustable.

What do you guys use to light up your gun cleaning benches? I have the idea that a light running the length of the table might be pretty darn neat, too.

Similarly, I could definitely use a lamp with an arm that I can adjust to get up close to my gun. A heavy base would probably be a necessity for this.

Thank y'all for your time (as always). I'm very eager to get tips and input on lighting up my cleaning setup.

I have ceiling mounted fluorescent shop lights above my general bench area, under cabinet fluorescents directly above the bench and an adjustable arm incandescent for close up stuff. Pretty much covers everything.

I have a fluorescent light mounted from the ceiling and another mounted underneath the shelf that’s over the back of the bench. Thinking of adding another over the left side of the bench where the vise is.

I was almost laughing when I read your post. EVERYTHING you wanted were the same things my crappy desk light lacked for gun work and reloading. I did a ton of research and finally found something I am very happy with. PHIVE lamps are $86 including the very heavy base. Now that I have it, I would have paid double knowing what it does.

The arm is adjustable in a dozen different ways. They come in black or silver.

LED - Check (50,000 hour bulb life.)
Light output adjustable - Check
An arm you can adjust - Check
Heavy base - Check

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N07P61...&colid=CHCGOWDWXKBQ&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

upload_2018-7-11_6-58-14.jpeg
part of the problem solved

SiNce I clean rifles and shotguns at my gun cleaning table, I don't want a lamp on, or even right next to, the table.
It's too easy to knock over with a gun, or just the stock, or just the barreled action, or the 28" long cleaning rod...

I prefer a ceiling-mounted florescent shop light, perhaps with a pull-chain light fuxture with a 200 watt bulb also up there for temporary extra lighting when you really need it. I also have a small flashlight handy (mostly for searching for small screws and springs I let fall out or fly out, headed to the floor under the table in the shadows).

View attachment 1696009part of the problem solved

^^ This ^^
Get one with the fluorescent tube that encircles the magnifier for even, no shadow lighting. Got mine mounted to a shelf above the work table so if can be pushed completely out of the way when not needed. Also have a small gooseneck halogen desk light for when I don't need magnification. And fluorescent overhead.
Can't have too much light with old eyes.

Back
Top Bottom