• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Cleaning short-cut

Patronus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
152   0
Reaction score
Back in basic training, after a long day on the range we were back in the barracks and our Drill Sgt walked us down the hall to the cleaning closet. He told us "I better not EVER catch any of you doing this! Don't ever let me catch you turn the hot warter on and letting it get steaming hot, then holding your stripped weapon under the hot water till the metal gets too hot to hold." He showed us that the hot water blasted off all the powder and grease and left the metal so hot the water evaporated allmost instantly. It cleaned the trigger mechanism like new. Then he said "I better not ever catch any of you doing that. I'm going to the PX, be gone for about an hour. Now go clean those damn weapons!" and strolled off chuckling...we swamped that closet for 55 minutes.

Sometimes I still use that. 'Course I also follow it with a light coat of Break Free...Army training sticks with you.

Yea, people shooting front end loaders have done this forever. I know it works, I know if done properly it doesn't hurt a thing, I know all this, but water in my firearms? I just can't make myself do it. I know it's a personal hang up, but I just can't do it. I'd be looking for a large vat of oil to soak my firearms in, and wouldn't sleep for a week afterwards if I did! Chuckdog. Yea I know, I'm laughing at myself right now!

lol...I've stuck glock frames in the washer...use a hair dryer on low heat to make sure everything is dried out afterwards, the oil it.
Didn't know about the running hot water on M16/ AR platform though...

Back
Top Bottom