• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Oil/CLP Recommendations

I hate Frog Lube with a passion.

Ballistic is good stuff, but tastes like hell.

Any gun Lube or cleaner will work on a Glock, they ain't picky.

Personally, I use Mobil 1 synthetic automotive grease when I want grease, and mix up my own gun oil. Many guys that are outstanding gun guys run straight motor oil, but here's what I mix:

2 quarts synthetic motor oil
1 quart automatic transmission fluid. Brand and spec don't matter.
1 bottle of original STP. The blue bottle.
1 7oz. jar of Hoppe's #9

Not at all doubting but that is some witches brew right der. How long do you cook it in the cauldron for?

Lol why are you guys licking your fingers?? Ive used a ton of it and never gotten a taste.

No, I drank a capful once. Horrible.

Not at all doubting but that is some witches brew right der. How long do you cook it in the cauldron for?

Hah! I didn't invent it, but it's good stuff! Slicker n' snot on a doorknob.

I'm hearing good things about frog lube but have never tried it. In for info.

I was an avid FrogLube user until I brought my guns out of storage after some months. FL gummed up the works in nearly all of my firearms. FL said that this is probably due to coming in contact with oil left on the parts. Well, in some cases, I can see that. But not in all of them, sorry. Out came the hair dryer to heat up the parts and many hours of cleaning them again with CLP.

Slip2000, Break-Free, and Rand are all good choices IMO. I've used each of them with very good results on a variety of weapons.

Generic ATM fluid. Course it's not $8 for a 4 oz. bottle.

Learn to read a MSDS, and you'll find out that all the high dollar fairy pee isn't anything special.

Search the internet for "Ed's Red", gun cleaning solvent made with basic items. I mix it up a gallon at a time and give away pints to friends.

Search the internet for "Ed's Red", gun cleaning solvent made with basic items. I mix it up a gallon at a time and give away pints to friends.

The lube recipe I listed came from Ed's Red. I use the cleaner as well.

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF
1 part kerosene, deodorized K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (odorless mineral spirits, Stoddard Solvent, Varsol)
1 part Acetone

Optional: up to 1lb Lanolin Anhydrous, USP, per gallon. Ok to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant

Back
Top Bottom