• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Oil/CLP Recommendations

Search the internet for "Ed's Red", gun cleaning solvent made with basic items. I mix it up a gallon at a time and give away pints to friends.

Way back in the day, I used to mix up Ed's Red. Then they invented this thing called the interweb, and I found out what exposure to acetone can do do you.

The primary ingredient in Ed's Red is ATM, so I just go all basic. Especially as I believe that ATM today is better than when it was when Ed's Red was made up (when ATM was sperm whale oil).

I agree, Ed's formula says only use acetone if being used for shotguns to melt away the plastic fouling. I do not include acetone but do add lanolin oil.

The lube recipe I listed came from Ed's Red. I use the cleaner as well.

1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF
1 part kerosene, deodorized K1
1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits (odorless mineral spirits, Stoddard Solvent, Varsol)
1 part Acetone

Optional: up to 1lb Lanolin Anhydrous, USP, per gallon. Ok to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant

In for a pint!

Have soap to trade!

After all the crap I've been through and things I've done, if acetone kills me I guess I just had it coming. I do more dangerous stuff than handle acetone on a regular basis! LOL

I don't have issues with the way Frog Lube works. I have issues with the fact that it doesn't perform better than other lubes under normal use, and it has DIRECTIONS. Why purchase toothpaste that doesn't work any better than Crest, has very specific directions, has to be used with the manufacturer's proprietary mouthwash, and you have to rinse with distilled water?

Folks overthink lube. I've used just about every oil and grease you can think of and haven't had any firearm fail with any of them. I've used the hated Breakfree CLP all around the US and in 16 foreign countries. I've used it in the desert and above the Arctic Circle. Never had it fail.

Back
Top Bottom