• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Oil

Jeepin101

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
20   0
Reaction score
I use syn motor oil [mobil 1] to oil my glocks,Was told it worked better in summer heat and want run out of your gun,Been useing it for 3 years now no problems at all,So anyone else use syn motor oil,if not what do you use???

i use mobil1 20w50 on my ar, valvoline synthetic grease on my aks and m1 garand, slip2000 on my 1911's and 92fs, and tetra on my sigs. could that be any more complicated?

If a firearm, or any tool is used in adverse conditions, then yea I'd use the most durable stuff I could afford. However, most of mine aren't, so I subscribe to regular maintenance with Break Free and other standard lubes. I try to follow instructions as recommended by the manufacture and get the proper amount of lube where it needs to be. I just don't shoot any of my stuff enough to make me believe that I need super premium lubes. I've heard tales from others that motor oils attract more dirt than firearm specific oils. I also hear this is better than that. I think if you use any quality lubricant properly you should be fine. I run Fords' synthetic blend in my vehicles, and have since Ford started delivering vehicles with that in them. If I towed a lot, or ran my stuff really hard I'd look at full syns, same with my firearms. It's a shame to see a quality piece that the owner believes is allergic to oil of any kind.

Will change to ATF, Learned something new

Synthetic motor oil and ATF both work well, and both have their own pros and cons. For the best of both worlds, I prefer the Ed's Red Lubricant. 2 parts synthetic motor oil (the lighter weight, the better), 2 parts ATF, and 1 part STP oil treatment. The STP is there really just to help keep it where you put it. I've been using this recipe for several years with excellent results.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom