• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Owner Fights Unlawful “No Return” Gun Policy

I read the article. When I read what the court said about the post deprivation hearing I thought that this has far reaching impact. Since it is part of a court decision, it would make great precedent for someone suing for civil asset forfeiture.

Localities will continue to deny us our rights as long as it costs them nothing.

I'm sure that isn't the SOP for Dekalb County, not even legal in Ga. Imsure there was more to the story.
You have a link or a specific case you are referring too?

I thought so too.

A few years ago I was in Autrey's Armory in Fayetteville and observed a fellow at the register attempting to retrieve a sales reciept for a gun sold several years ago.

He claimed his adult son was stopped while driving his vehicle. During the stop, the officer asked if had any weapons in the vehicle and he said he thought his dad kept a firearm in the console. The officer took possession of the weapon and released the son and vehicle but retained the weapon, telling him his father could pick it up at the station.

When dad attempted to retrieve it he was informed he'd need a receipt of purchase in order to release it.

So there he was trying to get a copy.

Dekalb County is also one of the jurisdictions ignoring state law that requires it to auction off seized guns.

Yep, Channel 46 Ben Swann opened that can of worms, the video was deleted and internet scrubbed of that intentional violation of state law.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20151113/report-city-of-atlanta-illegally-stockpiling-seized-guns

The report contains video of Atlanta Police Chief George N. Turner opining that compliance with the law would lead to “catastrophic” consequences. According to the report, Atlanta police have some 10,000 confiscated guns that they are warehousing, rather than disposing of as the law requires. The chief very clearly articulates what the law requires of his department and goes on to state, “The City of Atlanta has not done that.”

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed is also depicted in the report acknowledging that he is aware of the law’s requirements and complaining that it’s “very difficult for me to lead on this ….”

Chief Turner reasons that they are not “defying” the legislature but are merely “in a holding pattern.

I know I'm gonna catch heat for saying this..... I respect police, and hold them in high regards. but when people (especially) more conservative people start talking about how cops are just "doing there job" and its not their fault and that sorta b.s.... its like @gimmieguns said. they just take guns out of people cars....what if that happens to one of y'all? when they just "decide" to start confinscating stuff. you gonna just let em? its crap and they need to be held accountable. I respect the men and ladies in blue....but they swore an Effing OATH to defend the constitution and that type of activity under the guise of "public safety" is unacceptable... if a cop enforces unjust laws or acts against the constitution he/she is a bad cop.. period

..but they swore an Effing OATH to defend the constitution and that type of activity under the guise of "public safety" is unacceptable... if a cop enforces unjust laws or acts against the constitution he/she is a bad cop.. period

Yes, but there is a time, manner and place to assert those rights.

On the side of the road with someone with unlimited back-up is not that time or place.

Back
Top Bottom