• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

gun pulled on me today- need help

"A person may NOT carry a HANDGUN openly in Georgia WITHOUT having a valid gwcl"

Here's what the Official Code of Georgia Annotated states:

O.C.G.A.§ 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of private property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such private property shall have the right to exclude or eject a person who is in possession of a weapon or long gun on their private property in accordance with paragraph (3) of subsection (b) of Code Section 16-7-21, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

(e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.

(f) Any person with a valid hunting or fishing license on his or her person, or any person not required by law to have a hunting or fishing license, who is engaged in legal hunting, fishing, or sport shooting when the person has the permission of the owner of the land on which the activities are being conducted may have or carry on his or her person a handgun or long gun without a valid weapons carry license while hunting, fishing, or engaging in sport shooting.

(g) Notwithstanding Code Sections 12-3-10, 27-3-1.1, 27-3-6, and 16-12-122 through 16-12-127, any person with a valid weapons carry license may carry a weapon in all parks, historic sites, or recreational areas, as such term is defined in Code Section 12-3-10, including all publicly owned buildings located in such parks, historic sites, and recreational areas, in wildlife management areas, and on public transportation; provided, however, that a person shall not carry a handgun into a place where it is prohibited by federal law.

(h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.

(2) A person commits the offense of carrying a weapon without a license when he or she violates the provisions of paragraph (1) of this subsection.

(i) Upon conviction of the offense of carrying a weapon without a valid weapons carry license, a person shall be punished as follows:

(1) For the first offense, he or she shall be guilty of a misdemeanor; and

(2) For the second offense within five years, as measured from the dates of previous arrests for which convictions were obtained to the date of the current arrest for which a conviction is obtained, and for any subsequent offense, he or she shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction thereof, shall be imprisoned for not less than two years and not more than five years.

HISTORY: Laws 1837, Cobb's 1851 Digest, pp. 848, 849; Ga. L. 1851-52, p. 269, §§ 1-3; Code 1863, § 4413; Ga. L. 1865-66, p. 233, §§ 1, 2; Code 1868, § 4454; Code 1873, § 4527; Ga. L. 1882-83, p. 48, § 1; Code 1882, § 4527; Ga. L. 1898, p. 60, § 1; Penal Code 1895, § 341; Penal Code 1910, § 347; Code 1933, § 26-5101; Code 1933, § 26-2901, enacted by Ga. L. 1968, p. 1249, § 1; Ga. L. 1976, p. 1430, § 1; Ga. L. 1982, p. 3, § 16; Ga. L. 1992, p. 6, § 16; Ga. L. 1996, p. 108, § 1; Ga. L. 1998, p. 1153, § 1; Ga. L. 2000, p. 1630, § 3; Ga. L. 2007, p. 47, § 16/SB 103; Ga. L. 2008, p. 533, § 3/SB 366; Ga. L. 2008, p. 1199, § 3/HB 89; Ga. L. 2009, p. 8, § 16/SB 46; Ga. L. 2010, p. 963, § 1-2/SB 308; Ga. L. 2014, p. 599, § 1-4/HB 60.

This info should only be for your attorney right now. The only comment I can make is that the person in question you encountered with the firearm is a total idiot and some day will get his ass shot only because he is obviously not trained, skilled, or schooled in carrying a firearm. If your carrying and NOT condition 1 at all times, you may as well be carrying a bag of rocks. Good luck in court.

If somebody hops out of a car and racks a gun and heads my way in my mind they intended to use it, I would have been in fear for my life and limb at that point. I just pray I'm a better shot than they are.
And shoot it out with the other guy? Not with my family in the car. Apologize and calm the situation. He'll **** with the wrong person at the wrong time someday.
He already has the gun drawn, you don't. It'd be hard to draw and shoot before he did unless say, you had really dark tint on your windows.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.
This has always been my 'favorite' part of Georgia's idiotic "permit" system. :laugh: For some reasons it's fine for anyone to carry a loaded AR down Peachtree Street but a concealed revolver while walking your dog in your neighborhood? Well heaven's no! We can't have that...... unless you are willing to pay the tax and submit to the intrusive background check so the gubment can keep their tabs on you... :rolleyes: :frusty:

Hi guys! Man Ive had such a horrible day. cant even go to the fleamarket these days. so heres what happened:

Me, my female friend, her son, my mother and daughter were headed to the fleamarket. there was a car that didnt want to let me merge into 75 from the off ramp (we were at a crawl) they finally backed off enough where I could get in the lane. as soon as I did they ran up and hit the rear of my jeep, then pulled up beside me and the woman started beating on the rear window....

There's no excuse for the other folks conduct, but I'm betting there's more to the story as it relates to how you inserted yourself into the lane - ie you were driving like a jerk and caused an accident.

Then who police the police?

The responding officer has a supervisor. That supervisor answers to a command staff. In the case of a police department, the command staff answers to a governing authority. The governing authority answers to an electorate.

In the case of a Sheriff's Office, a deputy answers to a supervisor who answers to command staff and then to the Sheriff who answers directly to the electorate. The Sheriff is independent from the local governing authority.

The GBI has absolutely, positively no supervisory authority over a local agency.

If a citizen believes that an officer or deputy mishandled an incident, then the citizen should take that complaint to the appropriate supervisor and then on up the chain if needed. The GBI is not in that chain.

The responding officer has a supervisor. That supervisor answers to a command staff. In the case of a police department, the command staff answers to a governing authority. The governing authority answers to an electorate.

In the case of a Sheriff's Office, a deputy answers to a supervisor who answers to command staff and then to the Sheriff who answers directly to the electorate. The Sheriff is independent from the local governing authority.

The GBI has absolutely, positively no supervisory authority over a local agency.

If a citizen believes that an officer or deputy mishandled an incident, then the citizen should take that complaint to the appropriate supervisor and then on up the chain if needed. The GBI is not in that chain.
It probably would have been better to request the officers supervisor at the scene of the accident. But I still think the OP handle the situation well ,at least no one was hurt.

It probably would have been better to request the officers supervisor at the scene of the accident. But I still think the OP handle the situation well ,at least no one was hurt.
I believe he said that he did just that in the OP.
Another thing that leads me to believe that both sides did not have the same story. Or the OP did not describe the situation any better then than he has here.

Back
Top Bottom