• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Season Opener Pictures

image.jpg

Here's a couple pics of 11 point I shot in Butts county. He was chasing a doe. Grunting and acting very aggressive /dominant. Looks like they are going into rut early this year.

Saw four does and a buck sat morning, five does and two bucks sat evening, and four does sunday evening. Only had a shot at one of the does sunday evening and missed with my bow. I think I need to give up bow hunting til I figure out how to judge range better. The miss on Sunday is the fifth miss I've had this year.

I have the same problem. I've always been bad at range estimation. Just remember, Range Finders are your friend.

When I set up my stand location, I'll put out surveyor's flags at known distances for reference. Or, if I don't want to tramp all over around the stand, I'll use the Ranger finder to measure distance on trees and such once I'm in the stand and memorize those ranges. Then use those spots for reference. Just remember to always measure your range as close to horizontal as possible. Range a tree trunk at eye level with you in the stand, then use the base of that tree as your range reference point. It works every time.

I have the same problem. I've always been bad at range estimation. Just remember, Range Finders are your friend.

When I set up my stand location, I'll put out surveyor's flags at known distances for reference. Or, if I don't want to tramp all over around the stand, I'll use the Ranger finder to measure distance on trees and such once I'm in the stand and memorize those ranges. Then use those spots for reference. Just remember to always measure your range as close to horizontal as possible. Range a tree trunk at eye level with you in the stand, then use the base of that tree as your range reference point. It works every time.

Yea, that's what I would do if I had a rangefinder. I haven't been able to afford one yet. Doesn't help that three of the five I've missed were on the way to or from the stand. A good rangefinder is definitely the next thing I'm buying.

There have really been some great deer in this thread. For me this has been the worst opening week ever. I have lost two deer to third party interference (lost as in deer in my sights twice and spooked by people). The good part about hunting your on land where you live is you just walk out your back door. The bad part about hunting your own land is that unless you have a ton of it, you still have neighbors.

If I get some quiet time this afternoon, I know I will get one. Here is hoping...

Last edited:
Yea, that's what I would do if I had a rangefinder. I haven't been able to afford one yet. Doesn't help that three of the five I've missed were on the way to or from the stand. A good rangefinder is definitely the next thing I'm buying.

Yeah, been there.

You can pace off the flag locations around the stand. I did it for years before I got one.

Back
Top Bottom