• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun serial check at Lawrenceville Police Dept.

Why even put yourself in that situation ? Just imagine if it was stolen.........
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The best thing to do is to avoid any deal that could be suspect. I asked a cop buddy one time about running serial numbers and he told me what I already figured. If it does come back hot then YOU are screwed if you don't have some type of receipt/BOS with the info of who you bought it from. The only way I could see doing this is for you and the seller to get it checked at the point of sale. And if the seller doesn't want to do that then you already know the answer.

I read a few pages of this but I have a story about dealing with a Tennessee State Trooper.

My wife and I were headed home and I was speeding and got pulled over. The officer approaches the passenger side window and when he appeared I informed him I had a pistol and it was in plain view due to the fact I had not received my ccw yet. (already paid and submitted finger print ect. just hasn't been received yet)
He ask for the pistol and I told him it was loaded. I give it to him, slowly (his orders) he then ask for my ccw. I told him I don't have it yet and he said he would be right back. Comes back and ask me why in the world am I driving with a pistol without a license to carry. I told him it wasn't concealed and in plain sight. He tells me to get out and step to the back of the car. At the back of the car he ask again why I have a pistol without a license. I repeated the same thing I previously stated. He went absolutely bananas. Yelling at me how I am braking the law amd he could arrest me right now. He then said so you are telling me I can go to Walmart (in GA) with a pistol as long as it is not concealed without a license and it be legal. I said yes sir, unless you are asked to leave it is legal. He again lost it and started yelling at me again and then went to his car again.
He comes back with my gun, slide locked open magazine in other hand with the chambered bullet in the same hand. He tells me to put my pistol in the trunk and to close up my magazine in the glove box and that I am lucky he didn't arrest me. He then said maybe I should give you your magazine and make you come back up here to the courthouse to retrieve my pistol. I told him again I wasn't trying to break any laws or make him mad. Anyways he gave me my stuff and told me if I get stopped again in TN and my pistol is not in the trunk in a suitcase he will have me arrested and take my pistol.
It was crazy how angry he got with me about this. Anyways Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Just thought I would share.

I have another story about guns and getting pulled over in GA. Much more pleasant story. Funny story but pleasant.

Stupid move on a public road. Most people in "sports coupes" wildly over estimate their speed racer skillz. My family travels those roads. You want to break 100 mph you need to rent time on a race trac.

Hi,

Since not everyone is familiar with HOV exit ramps, I will clarify. This short stretch involved an empty, isolated lane. Vehicle was not even trying. I did not perceive a danger, and neither did the cop, which is obvious from the lack of concern. Thank you for questioning the judgment of both myself and the officer in this case.

There is a difference between weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds and giving giving your beloved machine a little juice on a clear roadway.

It's interesting if you still feel that stolen guns on the street would be safer than occasional spirited driving by car enthusiasts. Perhaps seeking out initiatives to ban vehicles capable of greater than highway speed limits would prove more fruitful than leaving derisive remarks on the internet. Just a thought. Being that my rationale is under scrutiny, I will leave the discussion for others to decide.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. The best thing to do is to avoid any deal that could be suspect. I asked a cop buddy one time about running serial numbers and he told me what I already figured. If it does come back hot then YOU are screwed if you don't have some type of receipt/BOS with the info of who you bought it from. The only way I could see doing this is for you and the seller to get it checked at the point of sale. And if the seller doesn't want to do that then you already know the answer.

Boom.

Hi,

Since not everyone is familiar with HOV exit ramps, I will clarify. This short stretch involved an empty, isolated lane. Vehicle was not even trying. I did not perceive a danger, and neither did the cop, which is obvious from the lack of concern. Thank you for questioning the judgment of both myself and the officer in this case.

There is a difference between weaving in and out of traffic at high speeds and giving giving your beloved machine a little juice on a clear roadway.

It's interesting if you still feel that stolen guns on the street would be safer than occasional spirited driving by car enthusiasts. Perhaps seeking out initiatives to ban vehicles capable of greater than highway speed limits would prove more fruitful than leaving derisive remarks on the internet. Just a thought. Being that my rationale is under scrutiny, I will leave the discussion for others to decide.
Justify it any way you want to. I guarantee you more people are killed or injured every year by actions such as yours than by a weapon in your county much less the state wide. That is a fact.

I read a few pages of this but I have a story about dealing with a Tennessee State Trooper.

My wife and I were headed home and I was speeding and got pulled over. The officer approaches the passenger side window and when he appeared I informed him I had a pistol and it was in plain view due to the fact I had not received my ccw yet. (already paid and submitted finger print ect. just hasn't been received yet)
He ask for the pistol and I told him it was loaded. I give it to him, slowly (his orders) he then ask for my ccw. I told him I don't have it yet and he said he would be right back. Comes back and ask me why in the world am I driving with a pistol without a license to carry. I told him it wasn't concealed and in plain sight. He tells me to get out and step to the back of the car. At the back of the car he ask again why I have a pistol without a license. I repeated the same thing I previously stated. He went absolutely bananas. Yelling at me how I am braking the law amd he could arrest me right now. He then said so you are telling me I can go to Walmart (in GA) with a pistol as long as it is not concealed without a license and it be legal. I said yes sir, unless you are asked to leave it is legal. He again lost it and started yelling at me again and then went to his car again.
He comes back with my gun, slide locked open magazine in other hand with the chambered bullet in the same hand. He tells me to put my pistol in the trunk and to close up my magazine in the glove box and that I am lucky he didn't arrest me. He then said maybe I should give you your magazine and make you come back up here to the courthouse to retrieve my pistol. I told him again I wasn't trying to break any laws or make him mad. Anyways he gave me my stuff and told me if I get stopped again in TN and my pistol is not in the trunk in a suitcase he will have me arrested and take my pistol.
It was crazy how angry he got with me about this. Anyways Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays. Just thought I would share.

I have another story about guns and getting pulled over in GA. Much more pleasant story. Funny story but pleasant.

Wow, that's odd how he went off the wall after taking possession of the gun!
TN doesn't look to be an open carry state w/out license, and it sounds like he might not have been sure until looking it up.

Have had a few issues with concealed carry in GA with a GA firearms license, and they had to confirm with the chief that I was legal. The only run ins were in smaller towns, so they likely didn't have as much familiarity or experience with civilians carrying. Then again, you'd figure more folks would be packing in rural Georgia...

Hi,

I get it, man. Sometimes you just look down at the speedo and realize you're going really fast. My last speeding ticket was in Macon in 2010. I hit the exit ramp at 75 and Hardeman Ave going well over 65 in my buddies old 3 series convertible. I had no idea how fast I was going or what the speed limit was. But I was immediately informed that it was 35MPH.
Yesterday I had to drive my duaghter's Volvo S40 to Perry and back. Damn! That's the fastest Volvo I've ever driven! I got up around 100 and backed out of it. But it shows up to 160 on the speedo. NOT the car I would have chosen for a new driver.

Back
Top Bottom