• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun serial check at Lawrenceville Police Dept.

To make this statement in this context shows your lack of understanding of this concept. If they can be sued for every case of burglary, wrecks, robbery, ETC then there would be no Govt at all because there is no way to prevent every crime from happening. This is where this legal language come from, but it is often picked up and used out of context by the more immature in our society...

Regardless, they have zero obligation to protect us.

Police have zero obligation to protect citizens, its a job, their job is to enforce the law, they are not crimefighters, merely enforcers that have qualified immunity when something goes amiss. It a true statement. They have zero statutory obligation to protect anyone other than themselves or other officers.

I am almost 100% sure you learned that in college.

That is a 100% misleading, bordering on completely false statement.

Law Enforcement Officers have no obligation to provide protection to one individual. Case law that grew out of a civil suit by the way, where an individual argued just that, the police should be the protector of every individual, at all times, against all evil. Law Enforcement Officers are sworn by oath to protect and enforce the rule of law. And that commitment provides YOU, and me, and every citizen of this nation a blanket of protection from the lawlessness that would surly prevail if that protection didn’t exist.

“They have zero statutory obligation to protect anyone other than themselves or other officers”, a completely false statement.

But what do I know? A better question might be, “What do you really know”? After all I have only been doing a cop’s job for 22 years, and prior to that a military man’s enlisted/officer work for 10 years. I am sure that you must believe that pales in comparison to your 20+ years of walking the earth.

My apologies for the harshness, but the political/media half-truths of those statements are annoying.

edited for punctuation.

Last edited:
Lol, pretty much sums it up. Cops are not your friends, they have no obligation to protect you, their job is to put you in prison, given the chance they will do so.

This is also very misleading, and false at the same time.

90% of what LEO does from day to day results in no one being arrested, and of those arrests that do occur, the overwhelming majority are for misdemeanor offenses that lead to no prison time.

LEO have no say in the final decision to send a person charged with a felony to prison. Judge's and Jury's decide that.

I am an LEO, I have many friends that are gun owners. As a matter of fact, I am not sure I have a single friend that doesn't own a gun. I have yet to conspire to imprison a single one.

I am almost 100% sure you learned that in college.

That is a 100% misleading, bordering on completely false statement.

Law Enforcement Officers have no obligation to provide protection to one individual. Case law that grew out of a civil suit by the way, where an individual argued just that, the police should be the protector of every individual, at all times, against all evil. Law Enforcement Officers are sworn by oath to protect and enforce the rule of law. And that commitment provides YOU, and me, and every citizen of this nation a blanket of protection from the lawlessness that would surly prevail if that protection didn’t exist.

“They have zero statutory obligation to protect anyone other than themselves or other officers”, a completely false statement.
But what do I know? A better question might be, “What do you really know”. After all I have only been doing a cop’s job for 22 years, and prior to that a military man’s enlisted/officer work for 10 years. I am sure that you must believe that pales in comparison to your 20+ years of walking the earth.

My apologies for the harshness, but the political/media half-truths of those statements are annoying.
Dude, supreme court ruled that police do not. Who gives a **** if I learned it in college or on the streets? Knowledge is knowledge regardless of where it may have been learned.. sorry I chose to serve my country get and education in a profession I enjoy.. I forgot that people get pissy when you throw some knowledge their way.

This is also very misleading, and false at the same time.

90% of what LEO does from day to day results in no one being arrested, and of those arrests that do occur, the overwhelming majority are for misdemeanor offenses that lead to no prison time.

LEO have no say in the final decision to send a person charged with a felony to prison. Judge's and Jury's decide that.

I am an LEO, I have many friends that are gun owners. As a matter of fact, I am not sure I have a single friend that doesn't own a gun. I have yet to conspire to imprison a single one.
And its not the Judge nor the jury, Its the DA and their policy. They have discretion on if they will even charge. I can tell your an LEO, your attitude through the way you speak wreaks of entitlement.
Sorry I didn't go through the 8 weeks of police training to become a law expert.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, cops are assholes (IME). They don't get paid to be your neighborhood friendly law encyclopedia.

Pretty big generalization.

I've had two times when the Gwinnett PD were helpful and friendly. One was running the VIN on a boat I found half submerged on the Chattahoochee, and the second was checking the VIN on a trailer I got from a buddy.

Both times they came to the house, rang the bell and were polite and friendly.

And Johns Creek PD were pulling over people on State Bridge and giving out Christmas presents.

And its not the Judge nor the jury, Its the DA and their policy. They have discretion on if they will even charge. I can tell your an LEO, your attitude through the way you speak wreaks of entitlement.

You are wrong again. A DA never has the final say in sentencing. I sure your savant clairvoyance has served you well in judging people on nothing more that your perception, but it fails miserably to reinforce you your false statements.

Dude, supreme court ruled that police do not. Who gives a **** if I learned it in college or on the streets? Knowledge is knowledge regardless of where it may have been learned.. sorry I chose to serve my country get and education in a profession I enjoy.. I forgot that people get pissy when you throw some knowledge their way.

The supreme court ruled the police do not what? I will make it easy for you....Law Enforcement Officers have no obligation to provide protection to one individual unless a special relationship has been established. If so, guess what? They do , even to an individual.

I have the upmost respect for every man and woman that has chosen to serve their country in any way. I made no comment about your service. Nice try, but you will have to thrown yourself on that imagined sacrificial alter with someone else.

Disagreeing with you does not make one "pissy". I am sorry I hurt your feelings. I will leave you to your own devices.

Back
Top Bottom