• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Store Commandos in Cobb County

Nobody knows everything. However, if you're ego won't let you admit it when you don't know something you'll never learn more. I don't mind it at all when someone like these clerks say "I don't know".

When I was young (a long damn time ago) I was hired by Home Depot as a clerk. They stuck me in the plumbing department and I knew nothing about plumbing. Because I was willing to admit that to the customers most of them appreciated my honesty. There were some people that came in there that really knew what they were doing and they would spend some of their time teaching me. Within six months I knew enough to be of real help to 99% of my customers. One of the things that to many people have forgotten is the simple idea that if you don't know something you need to shut up and listen to people that do.

How much do you want to spend for your new gun?
The owner has to pay for education and experience, thus increasing his cost of doing business. He can't pay $25 per hour and compete with Adventure Outdoors on price.
As much as we say "I will pay more for service", most people will not. The scary thing is too many people take these jackasses word as gospel.

100% dead on balls accurate!

I WILL pay more for better service...but not THAT much more. I love my local gun shop and have a great pawn shop but when I can buy a gun here or at Gun Broker for $50-100 less bottom line, I'm going to do it. So the shops need to save expenses to be be as competitive as they can. That means maybe the counter help isn't Mas Ayoob or Samuel Colt.

It would still be nice if they didn't ACT like they invented the internet when they barely know which end of the barrel NOT to peek into. LOL!

Pannells isn't going to be any better. I do a lot of my buying online and have it shipped to local FFL. I buy the bulk of my ammo online too. When I do deal with a gun store directly I normally go out to Sandy Springs Gun Club. The prices are not always the best but I have always received good service there. By the way why do you want Winchester Silvertips? Not really judging you but that is a really old bullet. You might want to check out the Winchester SXT (Ranger) that is if you are talking about handgun ammo. If you are talking about Silvertip rifle ammo nevermind.

I want them cause I'm OOOOld and I know they feed in my mouse guns. I started using them after reading a study 6 or 7 years ago that compared actual shoots. Don't remember who wrote it but it was widely published. When I asked them about 32 acp all he came up with was ball. I don't buy the "It will only clog up with cloth" theory, so I'll use what I know until something better comes along. I'm not so old that I won't look into the SXT's though. How's the profile of the hollowpoint? Too wide and they won't feed for me.

Last edited:
I don't normally go looking for an education on firearms in the store. Gun shops are no different from shops catering to other specialties and those shops have to compete locally and online and the net result is often low-wage funsters to handle the masses, and maybe one or two knowledgeable folks when needed. I try to stay online (like at ODT!) to get an education and keep what I learn in the back of my mind while admitting upfront to the shop staff I am ignorant (playing it safe?).

Years ago while studying Physics I got quite comfortable saying I knew nothing. Its the first thing you learn in that field.

Years ago while studying Physics I got quite comfortable saying I knew nothing. Its the first thing you learn in that field.

Who says you can't use anything you learn in school. I knew I should have paid more attention.

Sounds like working in a gun store could be a fun retirement job, if it wasn't for the co-workers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom