• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Stores to stay away from

Not sure what else could be done. I reported them to the BBB and warn anyone I know from ever shopping there.

Man that's messed up. I do know of one pawn shop here in Augusta that I believe (but cannot prove because I don't really buy from them) does similar things with some of their stuff. Specifically speaking their Taurus line. I believe while all the numbers line up they are just selling the original box with a preciously used gun. Some of them I believe had been previously purchased from an individual and if something was wrong with it, they bring it back just to get rid of. In return the pawn shop sends it to Taurus where they fix the problem and send it back. Then the Pawn shop turns around and sells it for "new". Scary stuff out there. Be careful. I would think that if/when the purchaser of one of these "new" firearms tried to register the weapon it would show a conflict. Like I said though I haven't bought anything from them in a long time so can't really prove it. There's no doubt the firearms are used though as they're are wear marks on the cylinders and bores.

Bullseye in Lawrenceville has prices that are all over the place. The staff isnt very courteous unless its a younger guy. Overall I've never been impressed with them.
Deaton's in Loganville has some good sales every once in a while but most of the normal prices are $100+ over MSRP.
Hilltop Pawn in Snellville can have some good deals and they will negotiate on most prices. Most of the guys up there will have a pretty intelligent conversation and won't try to sell you anything you don't need.
Franklins has been crap for the last 7 or so years.
Trading Places Pawn in Monroe is great! I've never had a problem with them and the range is very nice. Prices are pretty normal across the board and they have fairly good sale prices.
The one time I did visit Adventure Outdoors I went through maybe 5-6 buys at the handgun counter before I found one that was not a complete asshat. I got what I wanted, a LEO trade in G22 for $300, and I will never go back.

Sydney's in Augusta. His they stay in business is beyond me. Way way out of line with pricing and attitude out the butt. Huge selection and years in business.

I can't agree more. Sydney's is THE WORST!

Have you tried The Ponderosa Trading Company? That's where I do all of my business.

Definitely avoid Sidneys in Augusta.
They have a decent selection of guns, but thats about where the positives end.

Prices are often 20% above the manufacturers suggested price (most places are about 20% below the MSRP). And dont expect to negotiate for anything. I looked at a 1911 and they wanted $1350 for it (the MSRP was about $1100, I checked on my phone while standing there). So, I asked about the negotiating the price and the guy said they could do $1300 even, but that was it. So, $50 off of a $1350 gun. That is less than 4% off....doesnt even cover the taxes that would be paid.

I personally stay away from fraziers in cartersville. I guess the "tactical" part behind their name make them feel like they are better than other people. I also have had bad experiences in franklins. As far as ammo, if you're in cartersville the sportsman liquidators have good prices and are very friendly..

I've been in Frazier's a time or two and they're way over priced. A friend of mine was having a lower shipped to them and had made 6-7 phone calls over 3 weeks requesting them to fax over their FFL to joebobs and never could get it done. "The guy that handles transfers isn't here" or some BS every time.

Lakeside in Acworth who claim to be custom AR builders didn't even know what a pinned muzzle break was. I called and spoke with the guy who supposedly builds their "custom" AR's, "Oh yeah, no problem bring it down and I'll get that fixed for you in about 10-15 minutes". I drive all the way down there and he thought a "pinned muzzle break" was somewhere in the lower. What a dumb-ass. Then told me I had to have a SBR stamp because the barrel was to short and was trying to measure off the front of the Delta ring. IDIOT!!!!!!

Last edited:
On the Square Guns in Mcdonough is a great place to buy with an in house Gun smith (Andy)that is top knotch. They are opening a shooting Range etc just N of Mcd. on Hwy 42 in the old west lumber bldg..

the owner does not like young guys at all. If if your a buying customer, he doesn't really want to have much to Do with you.
even though I have bought guns there before.

On the Square Guns in Mcdonough is a great place to buy with an in house Gun smith (Andy)that is top knotch. They are opening a shooting Range etc just N of Mcd. on Hwy 42 in the old west lumber bldg..

I'd have to disagree .... On the Square Guns is high on about everything across the board. The old man that works there does more to run business off than anything... they all had a fit when I asked to take down a USED M&P 40 ... wouldn't let me... so I left it sitting right there and walked out... gave em a second chance last night... was a waste of time though... and it's a shame... my house is about 10 minutes from where they are building the range...

Cherokee gun and pawn will always be my first stop. Unfortunatelly because of there size there selection is limited so I might have to make a second stop. But because of the people, prices, and the selection they do have they are my first pick.

Back
Top Bottom