• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun Stores to stay away from

I have had very good experiences with Gable's Sporting Goods in Douglasville. They don't have a huge selection but are knowledgeable and friendly and will order just about anything you want. I've shopped Stoddards, both when they were on Fairburn Road and now in their new shop with very nice ranges. They guys there are friendly to me, answer all my questions and I've bought a few guns there.
I have had nothing but good experiences at Adventure Outdoors, old and new store. I was in two weeks ago and I knew what I wanted when I came in. They ended up showing me some nice stuff that had just come in on trade and I got some good prices. Worse part is the slow checkout but it's thorough and they are friendly. I usually do my research before I go in so I know what questions I want to ask and I am in and out fairly quickly. Last week I went in for a bushmaster, found a guy anxious to wait on me, showed me what I wanted to see, I filled out the paperwork and had my rifle in about 15 minutes from the time of putting pen to paper to checking out. One thing they don't seem fond of is letting people handle a lot of guns and shopping. They can only give you one at a time and they can't leave while you are looking at what you are looking at so that ties them up from people who want to buy. So, best way to get good service is to know what you want when you walk in the door and don't plan on handling everything behind the counters.
I've had mediocre service at Wild West Traders. They don't have a great selection, are somewhat disorganized when it comes to finding boxes for the guns, are quick to wait on you and then quick to leave you standing while they wait on someone else. I also usually run in to people that I'd really rather not shop for guns or flash cash around but that's probably just me. I'm old, retired, look like the Master Sergeant I have spent my life being, with 23 years of military experience and I'm not really tolerant of other people or folks that crowd my AO. Back off and we are fine.

LOTS of tire kickers at AO. I have never had a problem there myself. Know what ya want and your out. WWT is not to bad to deal with. Just your shooting choice is limited to certain calibers..

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah when they first opened there was some definite bugs they had to work out. I still frequented some of the other ranges for the first several months they were open. Once they settled in I have only been to another range just a few times. Once you go a few times you realize that the guys there are actually pretty cool and if you see someone being dangerous on the range and they don't, just tell them and they will take care of it.

Thanks.

I did a search and found some threads on good stores but I was more curious about the ones to stay away from or at least be weary of their service. I like to go to different stores all the time because I like to see what is out there while I'm traveling all over the metro and surrounding Atlanta area and I have came across some crappy service and some excellent. I will make a list and break it down a bit.

Worst Customer Service but I still shop there for price: Adventure Outdoors (I will say it has gotten better over the last few months)

Worst Customer Service and will not give my business to: Range Guns and Safes in Forest Park

Worst Attitude: Wild West Traders on Austell Rd.

Most insane prices: A little pawn shop in Bremen. Only one I know of there. ($350 Taurus TCPs, $275 Hi Points, and near $500 Taurus PT111s and140s) I know they can charge what they want, but I figured it can't hurt to let people know ahead of time so they can make their mind up whether to go there or not.

I don't expect everyone to follow my format, I just wanna see which places give the most people bad experiences. If anyone from any of these shops is on here then please chime in, in defense of your place, I just felt like there should be a thread calling out the shops that consistently give people problems.

whats the problem with wild west?? i've been there a bunch and never had a problem.

i know you guys are thinking you have been to the worst gun stores.....but let me introduce you to the firing lane in athens....and you thinks franklins and clyde's are bad....huhuhuhuhu:-(

AR Bunker in Newnan is the Worst...Everything is WAY OVER PRICED !
One day i called and asked if they had a Hogue Slip-on Grip...The "Woman told me yes they had them in stock, i asked how much ..She quoted me $50.00 !! i questioned her and she gave me a S***** attitude so i hung up..That place sucks

One store that was absolutely horrible was Mission Essential in Hinesville (not to be confused with the location in Savannah). I went into that store multiple times and basically had to beg employees to answer questions, point me in the right direction, ring me up at the register, etc. At the time, this was my only logical place to shop, so I had little choice despite their terrible (nonexistent) customer service. How they have changed ownership and are renamed to Aim Center Mass. What a major improvement new ownership makes! I went there today and I had an entirely different experience.

You can order firearms at dealer cost? No phone for home?

No I can't and he doesn't sell them for that either.
And firearms aren't the only thing I buy at gun stores. Holsters, sights, grips, mags, etc. And yes those can be had online, but I prefer to try and pick these up locally. Can't do if all I get is "We can order it".
Don't get butt hurt brother...

whats the problem with wild west?? i've been there a bunch and never had a problem.

I went there for the last time when the guy behind the counter wanted to check my ammo to make sure I had no steel, so when I opened my case up to get some ammo out he seen my old Taurus PT140. He preceded to tell me that and I quote " That Taurus is no good. I've seen several blow up, If I was you I wouldn't shoot it." I said, "Seriously, this is my ONLY gun including my G26, and G33 that has NEVER had a malfunction, EVER." He said I must be the lucky one that got a good one, and something about thats why they quit selling Taurus semi autos, but they still sell Taurus revolvers because they are good guns.:doh: I packed my shi*t and that is the last time I have stepped foot in there.

i know you guys are thinking you have been to the worst gun stores.....but let me introduce you to the firing lane in athens....and you thinks franklins and clyde's are bad....huhuhuhuhu:-(

Yep, I went into the place when I first move to the Athens area (1993) and was so impressed that I have never been back to the place.

Gunfighter, I am afraid you are wrong about Sporting Arms "not selling them for that either". I have stood behind Lisa when she ordered a gun for me and I saw how much they paid for it. When they charged me something like $25 more than what they paid, I just don't think you can do much better than that. I have also bought a few guns through online auctions and they only charge $10 for the transfer fee, and that ain't bad either.

Jerry sometimes tries to be funny and does not always succeed so I can see that some folks might not get the humor and think he is an asshole, but he really isn't.

Back
Top Bottom