• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Guncrafter .50GI Glock 20/21 Conversion Kit

Glock. Slide peening. (frame flex, locking block contacts slide ways, legs of locking block marks/peens slide way)

Couple notes. It happens on all glocks. The position of the locking block and the flex in the polymer frame at that point causes it. Its normal. In heavy calibers it can be more pronounced than in lighter calibers.

Typically, the peening of the slide ways is ignored and its cosmetic only. Occasionally, it raises an burr inside the slide that is objectionable but usually only cosmetic. Peening proceeds quickly to a maximum point and then effectively stops causing no functional or reliability issues. However, some owners may find they can't ignore it.

Glock owners have several choices where slide peening is concerned. Ignore it. Stone off any burr that occurs both in the slide way and to the inside of the slide where the square end of the barrel resides. Trade for a gun that doesn't flex in a manner that lightly peens the inside of the slide ways.

Essentially, it occurs, most never notice it.

Here on a 45 ACP Glock 21 made in the 90s. Lightly peened. Except for silver spots in a vast field of black, hardly visually noticeable and barely felt by a finger.

i.imgur.com_4kXbk92.jpg

And here on a 50GI slide. Slightly more peening but essentially done growing. I found a burr to the inside that rubbed the barrel chamber end on disassembly. I stoned the burr off. I expect no further significant peening and will probably check once or twice more for burrs and then ignore it altogether.

i.imgur.com_jKsqqen.jpg

i.imgur.com_p51UFU1.jpg

The glock factory - bar is installed in both the 21 and the 50. Variously referred to as -, 3.5lb 4.5 lb, its one of many parts and springs that can be juggled in the glock to change the feel of the trigger. It doesn't by itself provide a 3.5lb trigger. What it does do is eliminate most of the wall you hit at the rear of the stroke. Both guns take up and break cleanly at about 5.5 lbs now. (I'd always found the 5.5 lb factory trigger was closer to 6.5 or 7 lbs). The feel is totally different. Time now to hit the range with both.

So. Got an email back from Guncrafter. Nice to know information. The magazine, with flat Glock factory floor plate will hold 9 rounds. Just like the magazine provided with the upper unit but having the Scherer +2 floor plate holds 9 rounds.

The difference is that with the flat floor plate, the magazine spring will be at max compression and there is some risk that the wires will overlap and drag or bind a bit.

I've not noted a problem yet with 9 rounds in the mag and a flat factory floor plate. I load 9 in the mag and cycle one into the chamber immediately. I'll post up if I ever get a jam that is suspected to be a spring bind problem. (I was even thinking of clipping a coil from one of the mag springs to see if they were heavy enough to continue working but make them a touch easier to load/top off.)

Back
Top Bottom