• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gunpowder selection experience wanted newbies welcome

snatch3838

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
Vehicle / Equipment Dealer
130   1
Reaction score
Can find on the Internet which powder is designed for what (best results not just "will work") I can find one at a time but not all in a list. So let me get some help. This is where the expernce comes in but newbies do stumble across info as well.

Here is what I mean

Accurate #7 - works well with high pressure 40 cal 10 mm and 147 gr 9mm. This is all I will put in a 40 I like it so much the other were good but this was better same in 220 gr 10mm.

Win 231 versitle love it I my 9 115 gr but works across the board

Unique. Versitle but dirty Less recoil compared to other powders at low loads

Please add a few but why must be added everybody has a few they work with so why why why high pressure, low pressure accurate, less recoil, high velocity, heavy bullet, clean burning, or metered well
I'm trying to get at least 25 powders and what they re best at

Those are most of the handgun powders I have used/use. I use Accurate #2 in 9mm or .45 ACP target loads as it is very economical. I use a lot of Accurate #5 too; you can go high or low end and fills the case pretty good. In addition to the others I use it for .40 S&W, .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. I use Accurate #7 for 9mm and .40 S&W mostly fills the case good. I use Accurate #9 for heavy Colt .45 loads. All their powders are a ball type of powder that meters really well.

A lot of guys use Tight Group and I'll try that too but I have a butt load of Accurate powders to use up first.

BTW I love the smell of Unique and have never forgotten it.

Last edited:
Manuals are your best resource. Your bullets manufacturer should have the best data. Load density is more important to me than it is to many. I choose a powder based on metering and that comes as close to filling the case as possible. This helps prevent double charges and helps assure reliable ignition.

Hodgdon HP38/W231(same powder) and Hodgdon H110/W296(same powders) are two that I loaded with for years. Most of my needs from .38 Special to the heaviest .454 Casull loads could be handled by these two powders.

I rarely use either now. Hodgdon's Universal Clays is my target powder of choice now. It's basically a clean burning alternative to Alliant Unique. My Magnum days are mostly behind me now. My slower burning pistol powder of choice has become "Longshot" from Hodgdon. It'll make cartridges like 9mm .38 Super, and .40 S&W really shine.

I like the Accurate #5 and #7 powders, but they got to be hit and miss on availability locally making fill in purchases difficult. I now buy Universal Clays and Longshot for handgun, H322 and Varget for rifle in 4,5, or 8lb lots from Powder Valley. I can drop by Ga. Arms or most anywhere else and pickup fill in 1lb purchases as I need them between large orders.

I try to keep powder selection to a minimum in various powders, but do look at top or near top effeciency as well.
I like Acc#5 for my 45 ACP ( barrels from 3.18- 5.25) and my 38 supers ( 4-5") as they seem to run best and produce best accuracy and velocity with this loading, it seems to be a good choice for the larger non magnum capacity case.
Unique get the choice in my 9MM as those vary in barrel length from 3- 5 inches and the ACC #5 didn't work 100% in the shorter barrels.
win 231 or HP-38 gets the choice in many self defense loads for the 380 and some of the 9MM loads.
As was stated previously I like a powder that has a good density as to loading the case,and burns fairly completly.
IF you sit down and figure out how much powder actually cost per round its the cheapest of the components.
so the difference in loading a case 1/2-3/4 full (to prevent acidental double charges) is very little difference in dropping very fast burning powders that are only marginally covering or filling the case.
Cheap insurance and generally a more complete burn in the higher volume powders.
OF course Now I personally want to know that i am shooting a 45 acp, 357. magnum or 38 super, I simply do not plinker load my centerfire psitols, not max loads but I know that i am not shooting a 22 either.
My way, not the only way!

Thanks for the input but please don't get away from the why a powder is designed to work so well where
It's is chooses to work. The preference are needed but secondary. See every Internet sight tells you what will work and gives you load data. Experience tells me which powder works best under certain conditions. When I load a new caliber or even a new weight per caliber I try every powder I got ( that works no rifle is pistol non since) then I take notes first which is the most accurate then recoil, how dirty, etc. Some do well I this type of combo i made up some don't then the next time I compare notes then I can draw conclusions o win231 works well on soft loaded cartridge and accurate #7 under some pressure is better for it. Now I know #7 won't do my powder puff rounds and win 231 won't do my push it to the limit round. Info like this on one site just is not out there or it is hard to find thanks so much for any up to the challang.

Can find on the Internet which powder is designed for what (best results not just "will work") I can find one at a time but not all in a list. So let me get some help. This is where the expernce comes in but newbies do stumble across info as well.

Here is what I mean

Accurate #7 - works well with high pressure 40 cal 10 mm and 147 gr 9mm. This is all I will put in a 40 I like it so much the other were good but this was better same in 220 gr 10mm.

Win 231 versitle love it I my 9 115 gr but works across the board

Unique. Versitle but dirty Less recoil compared to other powders at low loads

Please add a few but why must be added everybody has a few they work with so why why why high pressure, low pressure accurate, less recoil, high velocity, heavy bullet, clean burning, or metered well
I'm trying to get at least 25 powders and what they re best at

For a high pressure load with low powder volume IMHO you can't beat the Titegroup. A little does go a long way! I have yet to see a powder that can be used almost universally and with such good results. Those Alliant Powders (Green Dot, Blue Dot, Poka Dot HA HA, Unique) are very dirty and have no place in my 1911. Just one man's opinion.

For a high pressure load with low powder volume IMHO you can't beat the Titegroup. A little does go a long way! I have yet to see a powder that can be used almost universally and with such good results. Those Alliant Powders (Green Dot, Blue Dot, Poka Dot HA HA, Unique) are very dirty and have no place in my 1911. Just one man's opinion.
Thanks for the info on titegroup I have se of that didnot know about the pressure thing should have known though it was second in 40 cal And 10mm when I put in a 220 grain bullet. The only thing I did not like when compared to #7 was between start and max there was little room for a ladder to find the sweet spot. I generally put this in shorter barrel guns due to burn rate Taurus judge public defender with the 45 lc is the latest.

Thanks for the info on titegroup I have se of that didnot know about the pressure thing should have known though it was second in 40 cal And 10mm when I put in a 220 grain bullet. The only thing I did not like when compared to #7 was between start and max there was little room for a ladder to find the sweet spot. I generally put this in shorter barrel guns due to burn rate Taurus judge public defender with the 45 lc is the latest.

I do like #5 and #7 also. You are very right there is a VERY small window with which to work with. I was skeptical at first also, but the results speak for themselves. This is very consistant burning powder and has more than proven itself to me and the small window that you work in has never been an issue(so far, I load 9mm, 45 acp small and large primer, 38spl, 357mag, 45 colt). I have been able to achive accuracy within 25 yards that is more than acceptable in each caliber(4" groups offhand).

http://www.reloadersnest.com/burnrates.asp
Here's a copy of a burn rate chart. there are quite a few of these charts available online from different manufacturers and other sources. If you find a powder that works well for a particular application, then often a similar powder with slightly different characteristics may be the little tweak that's needed to make a load great. Of course this can be a pricy endeavor and you should always follow reliable published data and never do a straight up substitute of one powder for another.
I don't know if this will help or confuse things but thought I'd put it out there for your perusal.

Also the Nosler manual typically list most accurate powder tested and most accurate charge weight tested and the Sierrra manual lists accuracy loads. This data is from their test barrels and since every firearm is different your mileage may vary. I have found their Data to be a very good place to start over the years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom