• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gunsmith that can machine Browning High Power sights off

CommanderFrye

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
6   0
Reaction score
I have a Browning High Power that has the black blade front sights and black Vee sights. I want to have installed better sights, but was told the original front sights must be machined off, and replacement notches cut for new sight.

Is there a local gunsmith that can do this machine work? None of the ones that I have spoken to have the necessary equipment to do this job.

Charles

Attachments

• IMG_0101.JPG
    IMG_0101.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0103.JPG
    IMG_0103.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 71
That front sight does not look like a permanent part of the slide. Check the backside for a pin that has been pressed and spread so it will stay in

I'd call Novak. You can mail the slide to them, pick out the sights you want and they will do it all. Quick turn around.
This. I highly recommend getting Novak to put sights on it.
Get them to cut Novak 1911 sight cuts on it and you are set for the life of the pistol. Tons of sight options.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I don't have a grinding wheel in my workshop, but if I need to grind the sights off of a handgun (which I do all the time; it's one of my favorite customizations)
what I've done in the past is open my car door driving along a smooth section of road at about 45 miles an hour, lean over and hold the pistol upside down , dragging it on the pavement for about 10 seconds at a time.
;)

P.S. after you get the sights gone, try some point shooting before you put the next set of iron sights on there.
You may be surprised how well you can do.

They are removable, no grinding required. Any real gunsmith can do it. You may need a bigger dovetail cut on the rear, and a dovetail added to the front.

Back
Top Bottom