• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gunstock saturated with gun oil (ideas on how to remove please)

shotgunman

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
193   0
Reaction score
I traded for a BAR last week and it was in much worse shape that I thought....bluing and wood. I've gotten a bunch of the dings out of the stock but I can't get the oil out where the gun was overoiled and soaked into the stock. I've tried acetene for 24 hours and tried heating it up for a few minutes and sticking in in cat litter. (both suggestions from youtube). Neither have worked very well so far. Any of you experts have any suggestions for me?

Thank you! I can send pics if need be.

I built a trough and filled with acetone and covered and let sit for several hours and have had good success getting oil out of the wood, just need to let it air out for a couple days outdoors and let it dry good before you start doing g anything else

Rag soaked in rubbing alcohol works also. Had a few WWII Garand stocks that appeared to have been oiled with motor oil cleaned that way.

Rag soaked in rubbing alcohol works also. Had a few WWII Garand stocks that appeared to have been oiled with motor oil cleaned that way.

Have not heard about doing that. I'll give it a try. TY
Denatured alcohol, acetone , if it were summer wrap in rags and place in a black garbage bag in the sun for a day

another suggestion was burying it in cat litter, putting in the oven at 200 for a while.

I have also wiped it down with Acetone then heated it on low temp with heat gun to draw the oil to the surface then wipe it down again. You can keep doing that until it almost all will come out. It is quicker that way.

Back
Top Bottom