• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gunstock war club (update)

Yeah, I've made quite a few over the years and still do. Don't get too caught up on "actual" dimensions. Us NA's do and did make war clubs out of anything suitable to smack an opponent with intent. My research indicates the gunstock war club did not become popular out west - plains and beyond until the Ohio Wars came to a close. As the Shawnee and others were driven off their Ohio River basin homelands and out into the grass ocean they brought their tools and weapons with them. The indigenous plains dwellers found the shape of the GSWC effective and pleasing to the eye and incorporated into their arsenal.

The one on Last of the Mohicans was pretty much oversized by the movie industry for effect. Most originals found in museums across the country are about 1/3 smaller. Pine and other softer woods were more prevalent, but many that have survived are of various hardwoods as well. No "incorrect" material as far as I have seen/studied. I've been fortunate to have handled more than a hundred specimens over the years. Some had "blades", some spikes of iron or antler, and some had none at all. Depended on the maker for sure.

They were predominately used first as a "coup" weapon to show power by knocking an adversary down (or off his horse) without killing him. The "coup de gras" blow came later if the victim refused to acknowledge who's boss.

I will have a few on my table at the Blade Show. Here are some I've made in the past.
Beautiful work and thank you for that information. I got interested in war clubs after seeing some at the Ocumogee Indian Festival and let that stew around for a awhile before getting a wild hair and deciding to try and make a couple.
You have confirmed what my research has shown that the types and styles where many and varied.
I'm actually surprised that pine was used that much due to it's soft, sappy nature.

I actually started out making a ball head war club but as I was working on the wood I started really digging the look and feel of the natural look and decided to make a short staff/walking stick instead. I'll have to find another candidate for that war club.
I remember when Helix cigars came on the market. I was working at a tobacconist in Charleston, SC. We were the first dealer in the state to carry them. Seeing all those boxes in your photo took me back two decades. Anyhow...carry on. :ranger:

I remember when Helix cigars came on the market. I was working at a tobacconist in Charleston, SC. We were the first dealer in the state to carry them. Seeing all those boxes in your photo took me back two decades. Anyhow...carry on. :ranger:
That was my go to until I had to give them up. A decent cigar at a decent price. Like my beer and wine and women I favored rich full bodied cigars and tended to prefer a good Maduro.

Finally got a chance to get some work done on this project. I've got it ready to start finish sanding.
I screwed up and accidentally took out too much meat in the middle but I was able to taper it so I think it will be fine.
I know if I do another I will use a softer wood.
20220530_174853.jpg

Finally got a chance to get some work done on this project. I've got it ready to start finish sanding.
I screwed up and accidentally took out too much meat in the middle but I was able to taper it so I think it will be fine.
I know if I do another I will use a softer wood. View attachment 4343532
Koool !

Back
Top Bottom