• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gussied Up 10/22 vs. Ruger Precision Rimfire vs. "Whatcha got?"

Great Field Report thanks for sharing. That Barrel is definitely a shooter no matter what it is attached to.
Fed Automatch competes well with SV..
More in-depth report coming comparing three rifles (RPR, Kidd, Generator) and three different ammo types (SV, Bulk 550, Automatch) from today. Even if nobody is interested, at least I'll have it documented.

IMG_20180603_112214245_HDR.jpg

Ok, I've got a few final installments to this thread and then I'll shut it down because it's probably getting boring.

I decided to compare all three rifles at 50 yards using the same ammo. I've got a few shots under my belt on the RPR, so I thought I would get all things equal using the CCI Standard ammo, so this is what I did.

The goal was to decide which gun shoots the best with each type of ammo. The most common denominator, ME, is the biggest weakness in this whole experiment but at least it's the most consistent one.

All shots were taken at 50 yards from the bench.
50 yard zero was verified prior to taking the test shots (4 rounds max)
Shots taken at slow pace, no time limit or anything like that.

Ruger Precision Rimfire:
Burris MTAC 4.5 - 14 x 40MM set at 14X power.
Measured trigger weight: 2 lb. average

Targets 1 - 4 below are the sequence I shot them. Target 1 was 10 shots just to confirm the zero. There's one stray hole in that target, but that was from shooting a different gun that I had just mounted a scope on. Ignore it, please.

Target 2 - Without changing the scope at all, I switched to Federal Automatch ammo for a 15-round string. They were pretty much all over the place, with one flyer. Obviously the RPR doesn't like this ammo as much although I did have 8X out of 15 with 4 more really close. Conclusion: Respectable, but not great.

Target 3 - Again without changing anything but the ammo, I tried some Federal 550 bulk 40 grain HP's. This was slightly worse, with only 7X and 2 really close. The remaining six shots look more like a shotgun pattern than a target rifle.
Conclusion: Not the right ammo for this rifle platform. It would kill a groundhog, but that's not the point with this rifle I don't believe.

Target 4 - Back to CCI Standard for 15 round string. I can honestly say that shots 8 and 9 I don't know what happened, and shot 15 was taken at the exact time a mosquito was biting me on the back of my leg, so I'm giving myself a pass. Even so, 12X with 3 identifiable operator errors gives this ammo the clear performance win.
Conclusion: CCI Standards for the win. They don't feed the best, but once they are in the chamber they fly nicely.

IMG_20180603_105202159.jpg

Ruger 10/22 Kidd Barrel:
Nikon P-Rimfire 2 - 7 x 32 set at 7X Power.
Measured trigger weight: 2 lb. 2 oz. average.

Target 1 - Starting with CCI Standards, I shot a 15-shot string which yielded 14X and 1 shot that was just outside the X ring. Most of the shots were in the same hole to the left as you can see. I can only attribute this to the lower 7X magnification level and maybe a natural tendency to want to shoot for the dark spot. I don't know the real answer (maybe you do), but I'm not complaining. Oh, and I did have to move the scope setting 2 clicks to compensate for the slower ammo since the gun was sighted in using Federal Bulk 40 grain ammo.
Conclusion: I believe this might qualify for "tack driver" status. I'm impressed. CCI Standards for the win... again!

Target 2 - Switching ammo to Federal 550 bulk 40 grain HP's, I shot a 15-round string an am happy to report I scored a 15X on this one. Although one shot is just on the line, it would still score and X in competition. Again, everything is to the left (might need to click once) but pretty tight, although not as tight and consistent as the CCI SV's.
Conclusion: There's a reason I like this ammo in this gun. Mostly since this is my 100 yard rifle I'm still happy with the 15X. Don't change a thing!

Target 3 - Switching to Federal Automatch 40 grain, I shot the last 15-round string. The grouping was actually slightly better than the 550's, but I did have a couple of strays. I know the shot marked "F" was a flinch, but I'm not sure about the other two. Still, 12X with one touching and one just outside is more than satisfying and I'm happy with it.
Conclusion: I think the two Federal choices are virtually interchangeable, with the 550 Bulk ammo being a bit faster (1,260) than the Automatch (1,200). Since I have about 350,000 rounds of each, I think I'm good to go either way. However, if I'm shooting for money, I think I'll switch to the CCI Standards and move the scope a click or two. They just seem to rise above the rest.

IMG_20180603_111751885.jpg

Keep em coming. Great information.. Glad I ordered 8 boxes of Automatch it seems to perform well on the cheap. It will be curious to see whether my Ruger Precision Rimfire shoots the automatch well.. I may have to stick to standard velocity on that one.

I just got the new Guns and Ammo magazine and they have an article about the Ruger Precision Rimfire.
I really like the looks of this gun and what I read there and here about it. I wish I had seen it first. I just bought a Ruger American Compact from a fellow ODT member to use as a host for my suppressor (still in jail).
Have not shot it yet but I think I will like it anyway.

He who dies with the most .22 rifles wins.

Back
Top Bottom