• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gussied Up 10/22 vs. Ruger Precision Rimfire vs. "Whatcha got?"

Just finished my barrel break-in for my McGowen Precision barrel rifle build. Wow, what a painstaking procedure! But, since I'm sitting at the shooting bench and not at my desk at work... it's all good!

I'll be sighting this rifle in this weekend. After that, you can expect some comparisons between the RPR, the Kidd barrel 10/22, the new McGowen barrel 10/22 AND the mystery barrel 10/22 (after a trigger job)!

View attachment 1655819

View attachment 1655821

This break in procedure differs slightly from mine:
1. Take new gun out with every magazine you have already loaded.
2. Shoot all the mags, reload, keep shooting until you run out of ammo or more likely time.
3. When you get home, leave the gun uncleaned because its family time now - you were at the range for too long and they miss you.
4. Within 1-2 days forget that you were ever going to clean that gun.
5. Next range trip, remember gun wasn't cleaned, bring bore snake with you just in case it seems too dirty to shoot.

A .22 barrel requires break-in?

A lot of .22 rounds aren't even copper coated - what's the purpose of trying to remove copper if there's none there to begin with?

A .22 barrel requires break-in?

A lot of .22 rounds aren't even copper coated - what's the purpose of trying to remove copper if there's none there to begin with?
I usually use gold plated .22's but I figured I would not use them for the break-in process. :becky:

I just wanted to go through the steps since I could document it and preserve my good standing with the fine folks at McGowen. They are VERY nice to deal with. The person I've dealt with is Dan Wynne at admin@mcgowenbarrels.com. Not sure if he's the owner or not, but he's a great guy.

Modification pending. I will remove the factory Charger threaded barrel and swap with this ODT grab.

https://www.tacticalsol.com/x-ring-series/x-ring-sb-x-barrel

We'll see if the longer barrel looks off balance.

IMG_20180608_173638.jpg

Back
Top Bottom