• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gussied Up 10/22 vs. Ruger Precision Rimfire vs. "Whatcha got?"

I ran some more tests on the Ruger Precision Rifle. Not what I was hoping for even though it was a fantastic day today for shooting. Of the four guns I shot today, the RPR came in a distant 4th place when averaging the groups of all the different types. In fact, it didn't even get 1st or 2nd with any of them.

This is counter to all the comments on various sites, including YouTube. Strange. I'm going back out in the AM and try it again. Kind of frustrating to say the least.

I ran some more tests on the Ruger Precision Rifle. Not what I was hoping for even though it was a fantastic day today for shooting. Of the four guns I shot today, the RPR came in a distant 4th place when averaging the groups of all the different types. In fact, it didn't even get 1st or 2nd with any of them.

This is counter to all the comments on various sites, including YouTube. Strange. I'm going back out in the AM and try it again. Kind of frustrating to say the least.

Fouled barrel?

Can't wait to hear back on your results!

People need to remember the price point of these rifles is under $400. It's designed for a somewhat niche, but certainly growing, market which is PRS 22 and NRL22 matches. It's not a benchrest gun. You arent going to get one at that kind of price.

I think Ruger knocked it out of the park though. Lilia, Feddersen, Green Mountain and I'm sure others are already coming out with aftermarket barrels that will increase the accuracy. Lilia around $400 will be top notch. And you will still be sub $1000 for a highly accurate rifle. Federsen around $200 and GM around $125/150 for even more of a budget, but both will surely be very accurate.

Prior to this, if you wanted a training rifle and a chassis feel, stuck with a CZ452/455, stick a $400 - $725 chassis on it, DIP scope rail and bottom metal. Well up over $1k for a chassis gun, but still not bench gun accuracy.

Yes, that's not really the kind of stuff I'll ever get into, but it's fun to see people get that kind of accuracy. I need a combination of looks, function, feel and groundhog killing capability... and American made as well.

I shot again today and the Ruger was doing much better. I spent another five hours at the range today shooting a bunch of different guns at 50 yards. I can get groups inside of 1/2" pretty consistently with any of these rifles and that's plenty good enough for me. I think the Kidd and McGowen barreled 10/22's will always shoot better groups than the Ruger Precision, but time will tell.

It's all about fun and function. If I can have fun shooting with guns that work 100% (or close to it), then I'm a happy camper for sure. The Ruger Precision fails miserably in this category so far as the feed rate is only about 70%. The magazine is so loose in the gun that the bullet never gets lined up properly unless I physically push the magazine up into the gun before moving the bolt forward. Yes, Ruger and I will be having a conversation about this issue, for sure.

I would bet that Volquartsen will probably come out with a barrel for the Ruger as well.

Yes, that's not really the kind of stuff I'll ever get into, but it's fun to see people get that kind of accuracy. I need a combination of looks, function, feel and groundhog killing capability... and American made as well.

I shot again today and the Ruger was doing much better. I spent another five hours at the range today shooting a bunch of different guns at 50 yards. I can get groups inside of 1/2" pretty consistently with any of these rifles and that's plenty good enough for me. I think the Kidd and McGowen barreled 10/22's will always shoot better groups than the Ruger Precision, but time will tell.

It's all about fun and function. If I can have fun shooting with guns that work 100% (or close to it), then I'm a happy camper for sure. The Ruger Precision fails miserably in this category so far as the feed rate is only about 70%. The magazine is so loose in the gun that the bullet never gets lined up properly unless I physically push the magazine up into the gun before moving the bolt forward. Yes, Ruger and I will be having a conversation about this issue, for sure.

I would bet that Volquartsen will probably come out with a barrel for the Ruger as well.
My Kidd 22 is my accurate than my RPRR, but still around an 1 inch group at 100 with the RPRR with a few different ammo selections.

I think you feeding issue is a one-off. I'm 100% on mine and generally speaking as far as I've seen in RPRR groups, the vast majority of people have no feeding issues. Always annoying to have feeding issues, but I'm sure Ruger will correct.

Posted this in another thread, but I ordered one of the Brownells BRN-22 railed receivers today. Will review when it gets here! Going to finish out my 10/22 project. Just need to decide on a trigger.

Back
Top Bottom