• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Habitat improvement / herbicide

TheGman

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
221   0
Reaction score
I have been trying to kill off Privet hedge etc however now I have begun to try to kill smaller sweet gum and poplar trees.
First eliminate as I dint like them and they do little to provide food or shelter.
Also opening up the hardwoods a bit , eliminate competition for nutrients, water and sun.

I bought Triclopyr 4 herbicide today, any experience? Supposed to be very good.
Hack and squirt or cut down and spray Cambrian line / stump.

ANy other suggestions as to improving the “mature woods” ?

BTW any luck hunting today?

I have 20+ acres scheduled for prescribed burn . I don’t want to burn hardwoods etc. I will update if I get other feedback elsewhere. My cousin who manages a large tract gave me advise on herbicide.

The dreaded sweet gum. Can you ask your cousin if sweet gum has any commercial value? Those darn things...if you cut one it springs back to life with a bunch of smaller ones at the tree stump. Ugh

He mentioned a few days ago that almost anything thats tall and straight has commercial value.

Now small sweet gums I am cutting, bent and twisted trees if not oak are gone.

I will ask and clarify. Also a small piece near me (34 acres) isn’t being cut this week so I will ask the loggers as well.
They started Thursday AM but stopped it appears due to rain (mud). They use one of my roads for access (by permission).

Yeah Remedy herbicide works well. Mix 3to1 diesel fuel/herbicide. Spray bottom 20 inches of woody plants/trees less than 3” diameter. It’ll hammer them pretty good.
Now I can’t help but take this opportunity to say thank you for improving your property for deer, but please shoot the damn things!!!

Yeah Remedy herbicide works well. Mix 3to1 diesel fuel/herbicide. Spray bottom 20 inches of woody plants/trees less than 3” diameter. It’ll hammer them pretty good.
Now I can’t help but take this opportunity to say thank you for improving your property for deer, but please shoot the damn things!!!

LOL eating up your stuff I assume!

Back
Top Bottom