• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had a good day at Cool Acres 1000yrd range

308 will let you learn HOW to shoot, a 308 shooting 155 palmas will do fine out to 1000. If you want to shoot Factory go 6.5 Creedmoor. Switching barrels can get expensive.

Man, I appreciate that info very much. Thank you. I don't reload, but am not opposed to changing barrels if needed down the road. Would you take .308 all together off the table for consideration? I'm planning benchrest shooting, but I'm not sure what those other two term mean.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Spend the biggest part of your budget on the optic, you cant hit what you cant see.

L

It depends on what your goals are .My NRA F-Class rifle is set up for their rules.
Which is single load ,and weight is limited to 22lbs.IBS 1000yrd benchrest is another animal in which a custom action and wide benchrest stock pay dividends.
Then you have Tactical rifle matches and want a detachable mag,shorter threaded barrel .
Calibers are a little easer to figure just look up what the winners are shooting.
F-Class a 284 is always a star.
IBS Benchrest 6 Dasher is at the top of the leader boards.
For tactical you could use a 6.5 creedmore because they make excellent over the counter ammo,I imagine the 6 Creedmore will be the same in time.
Hope that helps
Yes, that is very helpful as well. Thank you.

Spend the biggest part of your budget on the optic, you cant hit what you cant see.

Not 100% true, there are plenty of scopes out there that won't break the bank: Sig, Bushnell and from what I can tell the Higher end Athlons are picking up a following. the key is to have a consistent and accurate rifle system that is repeatable

Yeah, I understand. I was thinking a Night Force 3.5x12x50, (I think that is the right one I'm looking at.)

Get the biggest Magnification that you can use, anywhere between 17-25 power. its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it

Back
Top Bottom