• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had a guy ask me

Any rifle caliber used by the average soldier in ww2 that you can aim and shoot accurately. The calibers utilized were large enough to take down most if not all Georgia deer

Mettc dependent. What terrain you gonna hunt? 308 is my go to but I like my 35 rem for heavy brush. If I was out west taking longer shots I'd want 280ai. The best caliber is the one best suited to your hunting environment that you practice with enough to be proficient. More important than caliber is knowing your rifle and whatever sight/optic you choose to use. Understand your sight zero and the rise/drop at different distances and how to adjust accurately. Judging distance accurately with what you have available is also a skill that needs to be learned. Too many people just buy a rifle and hit the woods. Becoming a good shooter before you hunt is important. A lot of work and investment in time/money goes into getting to the point you take your shot. Sucks to get all the way there and miss or, worse yet, wound an animal and not find it. Judgement you have to learn by doing and making mistakes. Marksmanship you can learn ahead of time. My 2 cents.

A hit with a 22 Hornet is better than a mis with a 50BMG.

If he can't hit a silver dollar at 100 yds, he needs to find a gun that can with his ability.
I'm an accuracy guy, big time, but the majority of deer rifles out there are not capable of hitting a silver dollar at 100 yards consistently and there's nothing wrong with that. As long as you keep your shots within 100 yards, a rifle that groups 4 inches at 100 yards is just fine for deer hunting.

If the shooter is flinching due to recoil they need to either shoot a rifle with less recoil or learn to shoot without flinching. With that said, if they can't shoot a cartridge with enough energy to constantly and humanely kill a deer (like a 22 Hornet) without flinching, they have no business hunting deer at all.

I'm an accuracy guy, big time, but the majority of deer rifles out there are not capable of hitting a silver dollar at 100 yards consistently and there's nothing wrong with that. As long as you keep your shots within 100 yards, a rifle that groups 4 inches at 100 yards is just fine for deer hunting.

If the shooter is flinching due to recoil they need to either shoot a rifle with less recoil or learn to shoot without flinching. With that said, if they can't shoot a cartridge with enough energy to constantly and humanely kill a deer (like a 22 Hornet) without flinching, they have no business hunting deer at all.

Well I ain't hunting with it. lol

I wouldn't either, but the math is the math. A 4 inch group is only 2 inches off point of aim at 100 yards and there's nothing wrong with that.

That's why a lot of people aim center mass when they shoot a deer and want a bullet that will leave a good blood trail, instead of just shooting the deer in the head.

Most people don't spend enough time shooting for accuracy.

That's why a lot of people aim center mass when they shoot a deer and want a bullet that will leave a good blood trail, instead of just shooting the deer in the head.

Most people don't spend enough time shooting for accuracy.
Actually, most people don't shoot a deer in the head because even a slight head movement as the shot is made can cause a devastating wound to the jaw or muzzle that is not immediately fatal, but will cause a long and suffering death by dehydration, starvation or infection. I'm a very good shot and the only time I would ever take a head shot on a deer would be if I ever needed a finishing shot and the only thing available was a head shot. That's a hypothetical, because it's never happened.

Back
Top Bottom