• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had a guy ask me

1) Take him shooting - Show him the right way
2) If possible, work up from 22LR to different calibers - give him a chance to experience it
3) Find out where he plans to hunt - pick a caliber that will work there
3) Then take him out hunting - show him how it's done.

Too many people have too many opinions. We need to be showing and sharing, not telling and tearing down.

Actually, most people don't shoot a deer in the head because even a slight head movement as the shot is made can cause a devastating wound to the jaw or muzzle that is not immediately fatal, but will cause a long and suffering death by dehydration, starvation or infection. I'm a very good shot and the only time I would ever take a head shot on a deer would be if I ever needed a finishing shot and the only thing available was a head shot. That's a hypothetical, because it's never happened.

So how many deer run off after the center mass shot with a "varmint" caliber rifle, to die a slow miserable death from a gut shot?

I shoot all doe deer in the head with my 300 wm. I don't have them run off.

I also shoot squirrels and shoot pigeons in the head with my 17 Mach II, at 100 yards regularly.

I never thought of myself as an expert marksman, but it appears that I'm way ahead of the curve.

Safety first and foremost. Muzzle control.

Marksmanship.
Even if you want to play basketball really bad, but just can't seem to ever ring the goal, maybe basketball isn't your game.

Become a good hunter.

Tracker of wounded game, not necessary if you are a good enough marksman.

I encourage everyone to shoot and hunt, but there is no need in going out in the woods just shooting "at" game, hoping that you will kill it when you couldn't hit a pie plate at 100 yards.

300 win mag because if he misses the vitals it should still do the job
I assume this is a joke.... but on the off chance its not, for the love of all that is holy OP, do NOT give out such advice.
Take him shooting whatever variety you have. Let him find what he's comfirtable shooting. Shoot that.
My rule of thumb minimum for a rifle is 1,000# energy at impact distances. They're deer, not rhinos.

I assume this is a joke.... but on the off chance its not, for the love of all that is holy OP, do NOT give out such advice.
Take him shooting whatever variety you have. Let him find what he's comfirtable shooting. Shoot that.
My rule of thumb minimum for a rifle is 1,000# energy at impact distances. They're deer, not rhinos.

No joke.

You can shoot a deer "in the side" as many do, but they will call it a lung shot, and it will not run off.
A 180 grain Remington Coreloct does the trick.

I shot an 8 point last year at 225 yards. Placed the round just behind the shoulder. Dropped him in his tracks.
No exit wound. No high kick in the air. No run off into the woods. No destroyed shoulders.

Smaller caliber, smaller target.

Back
Top Bottom