• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had a guy ask me

cdn0.wideopenspaces.com_wp_content_uploads_2015_07_deer_ford.jpg
PreTenderized

I was just kidding. I wanted to see what people would say about that. People telling me to let him shoot a .300 mag and stuff. Lol

That made me chuckle, as it reminded me of a hunting buddy I had years ago, and how he used to boast about his 30-06 and his 180 grain remington core lokts. At the time I had a savage 116 in 338 Win Mag with the muzzle break that you could close by turning it, I let him shoot it with the muzzle break open a couple of times, and he was shocked that the recoil wasn't that bad, so after a little bit he wanted to shoot it again. This time while he wasn't looking I closed the muzzle break off. LOL he was not real pleased with me.

First of all, it has nothing to do with marksmanship. A deer's head movement can be quick and unpredictable. You can make a flawless shot and if they move their head just as you fire there isn't anything you can do about it.

Second, I don't recommend using a "varmint" bullet or caliber for deer hunting at all.

Third, the viable kill area for a heart lung shot is approximately 12 x 18 inches, so it's a lot easier to reliably hit it than a 3 inch brain.

Fourth, a deer's torso does not have the same random mobility that their head does.

Fifth, from the center of the kill area on a head shot to that of a devastating and inhumane wound is only about 3 or 4 inches. For a heart/lung shot it's more than twice as much.

So, what was your logical and ethical reason for taking head shots?

LOl
I'm sure you think you are right.

I don't need a bullet to leave a good blood trail, nor do I have to track deer, nor do I lose the deer I shoot, nor do I destroy 25% of the meat with poor shot placement.

It's obvious that you have never worked at a deer processing facility. You should volunteer to skin deer for a weekend, then come back and tell us all about "marksmanship" and shot placement.

That made me chuckle, as it reminded me of a hunting buddy I had years ago, and how he used to boast about his 30-06 and his 180 grain remington core lokts. At the time I had a savage 116 in 338 Win Mag with the muzzle break that you could close by turning it, I let him shoot it with the muzzle break open a couple of times, and he was shocked that the recoil wasn't that bad, so after a little bit he wanted to shoot it again. This time while he wasn't looking I closed the muzzle break off. LOL he was not real pleased with me.

Poor guy. Lol

LOl
I'm sure you think you are right.

I don't need a bullet to leave a good blood trail, nor do I have to track deer, nor do I lose the deer I shoot, nor do I destroy 25% of the meat with poor shot placement.

It's obvious that you have never worked at a deer processing facility. You should volunteer to skin deer for a weekend, then come back and tell us all about "marksmanship" and shot placement.
So no logical or ethical reason. I see.

BTW, the reason you don't see the results of poor shot placement on head shots at the processor is because they never find the deer. The deer dies days or even weeks later in agony. Often the hunter thinks it was a clean miss. I wonder if you have ever "missed" a head shot.

So no logical or ethical reason. I see.

BTW, the reason you don't see the results of poor shot placement on head shots at the processor is because they never find the deer. The deer dies days or even weeks later in agony. Often the hunter thinks it was a clean miss. I wonder if you have ever "missed" a head shot.

I wonder if you ever made a head shot.:shocked::thumb::becky:

Those center mass shots that seem to be a miss, when the deer jumps in the air, those are sever days dying with their guts hanging out and the yotes gnawing at them.

I'll bet a dime to a donut that you hunt squirrels with a 12 ga shotgun. lol

Back
Top Bottom