• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had a guy ask me

I've killed more deer than I can count over the last 20+ years with a 22-250 but on the other end of the spectrum I also have a 7mm mag. It's down to the shooter and how comfortable they are behind the gun and if they are willing to wait for the right kill shot required for the caliber they selected. I shoot all my deer in the neck or head, especially when shooting the 22-250. That means I do have to let more deer walk than I would if I were shooting a larger caliber gun and going for vitals but that's part of the challenge for me and I'm willing to accept that.

I totally agree.
If you are going to deer hunt with a varmint rifle, you need to be proficient enough to shoot them in the head/neck.

I still shoot doe deer in the head with my 300 wm. I'll shoot a nice buck a couple of inches behind the shoulder, and have yet to have any to them take another step.

But Bear44 says you are stupid if you feel confident enough in your marksmanship to shoot a deer in the head and that he doesn't waste any meat by shooting all his deer in the heart, without going in or out either shoulder.

Those that can't shoot, try to justify shooting center mass with being ethical. SMH

When i started hunting I could only afford one rifle. So I used my 22-250 groundhog rifle on everything. Went to Pennsylvania every year and took deer with it. Shot them all in the neck and never had one move out of it's tracks. Used a 50 Grain Sierra bullet at 3850 FPS.

I have always been a behind the shoulder guy. I have had to track with a 270 and a 30/30 and a bow at times.
When my son started shooting a friend told me to try a neck shot. Son shoots a 243 with 100 grain bullets. All three he has shot have fold up like a roadmap where they stood. We are hunting a field. We keep all shots within 100 yards. Son is patient enough to wait until he can put a bullet in his spot. Also he isn't afraid to let one walk that is too far or not the right angle.
We will be in the woods this year with the same game plan and I hope w remain successful

I totally agree.
If you are going to deer hunt with a varmint rifle, you need to be proficient enough to shoot them in the head/neck.

I still shoot doe deer in the head with my 300 wm. I'll shoot a nice buck a couple of inches behind the shoulder, and have yet to have any to them take another step.

But Bear44 says you are stupid if you feel confident enough in your marksmanship to shoot a deer in the head and that he doesn't waste any meat by shooting all his deer in the heart, without going in or out either shoulder.

Those that can't shoot, try to justify shooting center mass with being ethical. SMH
I didn't say it was stupid. I said it is unethical because of the real chance of the deer moving it's head and getting a devastating wound that does not kill it. Try to keep up.

I have no problem with neck shots as long as the hunter is ready for a follow up if they don't hit the spin.

Let's also take a look here:

"I'll shoot a nice buck a couple of inches behind the shoulder"
and
"try to justify shooting center mass with being ethical. SMH"

So you claim a heart lung shot is unethical, but then admit you take them. Why does that not surprise me?

I didn't say it was stupid. I said it is unethical because of the real chance of the deer moving it's head and getting a devastating wound that does not kill it. Try to keep up.

I have no problem with neck shots as long as the hunter is ready for a follow up if they don't hit the spin.

Let's also take a look here:

"I'll shoot a nice buck a couple of inches behind the shoulder"
and
"try to justify shooting center mass with being ethical. SMH" When I shoot one center mass, it isn't with a varmint rifle.
For some reason they fall in their tracks. I guess I'm just lucky that way.
It's ok just tell it however it suits your agenda, don't let the facts get in your way of telling your version.

So you claim a heart lung shot is unethical, but then admit you take them. Why does that not surprise me?

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

:bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2:
:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

I'm sure that you think whatever you do is the only way to do things, but believe it or not, there are some people that can ring the basketball goal without standing on a ladder. lol:crutch:

:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

:bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::bored::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2:
:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

I'm sure that you think whatever you do is the only way to do things, but believe it or not, there are some people that can ring the basketball goal without standing on a ladder. lol:crutch:
There's that pride in accuracy, rather than ethical concern for the game you hunt again.

Tell you what, I'm planing a trip to CMP in the next month or so. Let's meet there and put an end to this fallacy that the reason I don't take head shots is because I'm not as good a shot as you.

There's that pride in accuracy, rather than ethical concern for the game you hunt again.

Tell you what, I'm planing a trip to CMP in the next month or so. Let's meet there and put an end to this fallacy that the reason I don't take head shots is because I'm not as good a shot as you.
In for shooting match...if y'all sell tickets for folks to come watch then you will both make a wad of cash.

I suggest live pigeons at 100 yards...headshots only.

In for shooting match...if y'all sell tickets for folks to come watch then you will both make a wad of cash.

I suggest live pigeons at 100 yards...headshots only.
Won't be much to see. It will become clear very quickly.

I'm not an elite long range shooter by any means, but the last time I was at Arena I was consistently dinging steel at 1270 yards.

In the wind.

Back
Top Bottom