• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had an unsettling encounter today

Trailrider

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
117   1
Reaction score
So I'm working in the office today which means no guns in the building. I keep my piece in the center console of the truck though. I went to meet my wife and kids at the old Macon Mall here in good old Mactown. I know, rough part of town for those that know the area but it's near my work and she needed to get some shopping done there too.

So we parked next to each other in the food court parking lot and I got out to help get the kids out. As I'm getting them out I notice three thugs riding 4 wheelers and dirtbikes entering the parking lot. Same kind of thing you've been hearing about up in Atlanta. Just popping wheelies, revving their engines, no helmet on, completely illegal, etc.

I kept my eye on them and we start getting ready to walk the parking lot to the food court entrance when I notice they're turning to come down our lane, going the wrong way(one way only parking lot) and I stop her and the kids. I have them get back in between our vehicles and go I walk toward my truck to where my gun is still in the console(I know, big mistake).

So while this is going on the thugs actually started circling us and revved a few times while making hard eye contact at me. I put myself between the family and them, while reaching in to my console. I guess they realized I was going for a weapon because they ended up leaving and heading back out of the parking lot, while giving me hard stares the entire time.

I stood there for a minute just to make sure they were leaving and that's when the surge of adrenaline hit me. I was livid, just shaking mad that the situation even happened, and that I wasn't even ready. I'm usually better prepared and somehow slipped up right there with my family with me.

Luckily it didn't escalate in to something worse but I haven't stopped thinking about it since it happened. I called the police and let them know these guys were out riding around but I doubt they catch them.

I’d say just try and establish a good habit of putting the gun back on you whenever you step out of the office. I’m in a similar situation. Can’t carry at the shop but when I go get breakfast in morning or lunch at noon I’m carrying.but good thing it didn’t get worse.

I’d say just try and establish a good habit of putting the gun back on you whenever you step out of the office. I’m in a similar situation. Can’t carry at the shop but when I go get breakfast in morning or lunch at noon I’m carrying.but good thing it didn’t get worse.
Yep, better habits are in order. One of those moments where I just didn't think about it and went to her car to get the kids first. I need to make a habit like I do when I grab my phone out of the cup holder.

Back
Top Bottom