• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Had my first bad experience here

Top or bottom?? ( )( ) or ( . )( . )

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Bottom

Votes: 15 55.6%

• Total voters
Absolutely false, the only requirement for private sales to a legal individual is that they are a resident of the state of Georgia which a driver's license proves. You are going above and beyond what is required by law by requiring a GWL. It is your gun and can pick and choose who you sell to, but to state that having a GA license does nothing for a private sale in general is incorrect. And next time don't beat around the bush, clearly state what you require and you won't run into this again.
Let's be fair. A driver's license "proves" you're a resident the same way a GWL "proves" you're not a felon. In other words.....

As I understand, we're not allowed to sell to anyone that we may have a reasonable suspicion isn't allowed to possess firearms (felon, domestic violator, non-resident) . I would think seeing a valid state DL shows due diligence, and gets us past "reasonable suspicion". But is that sufficient, or would we still be guilty of a crime even if the buyer stated he was a state resident, showed a valid state DL, but wasn't actually a legal resident?
If that's the case, we're all highly vulnerable every time we trade/sell something. Even a carry permit wouldn't necessarily cover us. (I have freinds that were AL residents, with their AL carry permits, but now live in N GA., so they could theoretically buy used firearms in Ala, "prove" themselves as legal, but not be.)

As I understand, we're not allowed to sell to anyone that we may have a reasonable suspicion isn't allowed to possess firearms (felon, domestic violator, non-resident) . I would think seeing a valid state DL shows due diligence, and gets us past "reasonable suspicion". But is that sufficient, or would we still be guilty of a crime even if the buyer stated he was a state resident, showed a valid state DL, but wasn't actually a legal resident?
If that's the case, we're all highly vulnerable every time we trade/sell something. Even a carry permit wouldn't necessarily cover us. (I have freinds that were AL residents, with their AL carry permits, but now live in N GA., so they could theoretically buy used firearms in Ala, "prove" themselves as legal, but not be.)

That's not the legal standard for a non-FFL.

The legal standard is that you cannot sell a gun to someone who you KNOW cannot own one.

You are not required to do any "due diligence" whatever that is.

You can suspect whatever you want, but if you don't "know" it, you have no responsibility.

The primary liability is on the person buying the gun who knows whether or not they can own one.

Private sales of firearms between individual citizens are legal and do not require background checks. You are allowed to sell your private property to anyone of your choosing, unless the individual is ineligible to own or possess a firearm. Knowingly selling a firearm to a felon is a felony

That's not the legal standard for a non-FFL.

The legal standard is that you cannot sell a gun to someone who you KNOW cannot own one.

You are not required to do any "due diligence" whatever that is.

You can suspect whatever you want, but if you don't "know" it, you have no responsibility.

The primary liability is on the person buying the gun who knows whether or not they can own one.
So if a man sells a felon a gun without knowing, and by the felon only presenting a driver's license. Then this felon goes out and shoots and kills one of your children. Your telling me that if you hire a lawyer and he finds all this out. The felon has nothing but the guy that sold him the gun is beyond rich, you're telling me you or your lawyer would not go after him for selling the felon the gun. That is just what you're saying. Albeit. this is hypothetical. And your cool with knowing what you said about this.

You see things change when you put perspectives in order, so in reality I would have to agree with the OP in this case. Just my 2 cents.

But you could still walk away without a gun.
Yes, but my point is a CCW is not a legal requirement to purchase a firearm in GA.
So if a man sells a felon a gun without knowing, and by the felon only presenting a driver's license. Then this felon goes out and shoots and kills one of your children. Your telling me that if you hire a lawyer and he finds all this out. The felon has nothing but the guy that sold him the gun is beyond rich, you're telling me you or your lawyer would not go after him for selling the felon the gun. That is just what you're saying. Albeit. this is hypothetical. And your cool with knowing what you said about this.

You see things change when you put perspectives in order, so in reality I would have to agree with the OP in this case. Just my 2 cents.

And now you're talking civil liability, not actual legal GA gun law. Two different things. Y'all really need to brush up on your laws here in GA. That would cut down on all these ads that require a "peek at your CCW" or require a BoS with my license number on it.

Yes, but my point is a CCW is not a legal requirement to purchase a firearm in GA.

And now you're talking civil liability, not actual legal GA gun law. Two different things. Y'all really need to brush up on your laws here in GA. That would cut down on all these ads that require a "peek at your CCW" or require a BoS with my license number on it.
This can turn into both quickly. I know.

Hypothetically this is America and I love freedom and I don’t go around making decisions based on worst case OMG what can someone come up with on the internet!
I’ve bought and sold multiple guns without either party even hinting about a carry license. If one of those guys uses one of my previous guns in a crime; I’ll sleep the same that night knowing he could have gotten a gun just as easy elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom