• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham or CB radio?

Comanche

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
124   0
Reaction score
I know there’s a lot of interest in ham right now for SHTF but is there still any interest in CB radio?

I’d like to fit my vehicles with CB cause i’ve used them in the past for offroading and traveling logging roads and highway fun.

My Dads wife used to drive the truckers crazy with her antics on the CB.
Her handle was “moon baby”...lol.

I’d like to know more about handheld ham radios but it seems there’s a lot to know and they seem rather complicated as far as function.
Ive never understood why one had to be licensed and can get in trouble for broadcasting on certain frequencies.
I would like to check out a cheap Baofeng handheld or two just to have and alternative to cell phones if the google grid ever goes down.

I've been wanting to get into a ham radio but have yet to even practice for the license. The cost of equipment & lack of free time from my two little boy's is also a deterrence from getting started.

I've looked at CB radios too, just to get started into it. But there is always something that's more useful when it comes time to buy something & I seem to spending less time in the vehicle these day's than when I first wanted one.

Here's a good video I watched awhile back showing how each stack up to each other over variable terrain. Good info compared to people just talking about it. They used it for offroad communications.

Ran a CB for years, then moved over to a 10 meter radio. I personally wouldn't waste my time with a standard CB (unless you are just using it for fun), the 10 meter radio has substantially more channels (although those channels are identified for amateur radio licensed use), but it is illegal to run a 10 meter radio on CB channels. the CB will most likely come with 4 watts power (although you can get it peaked and tuned by a CB shop and make 3 or 4 times that power), most 10 meter radios come with 10 to 25 watts power and can also get peaked and tuned for higher power output. The thing that I prefer the most about the 10 meter radios is that you can 'listen' on police bands, government bands, etc.
All of this being said, YES - it is illegal to operate a CB with more than 4 watts output power, YES - it is illegal to operate a HAM/10 meter radio on CB channels (1-40). Buuuttt...I personally ran a Galaxy DX959 10 meter radio, with approximately 15 watts output...and a TEXAS STAR linear amplifier pushing a 1,000 watts - I could consistently talk about 25-30 miles (assuming someone on the other end had the power to talk back). I drove all over the country and used my radio frequently, I never got harassed by the FCC but, I also didn't act like an ass talking over people all the time and keying up just to cause problems. Definitely heard some interesting traffic/conversations scanning through the side bands ....Just my opinion

Ran a CB for years, then moved over to a 10 meter radio. I personally wouldn't waste my time with a standard CB (unless you are just using it for fun), the 10 meter radio has substantially more channels (although those channels are identified for amateur radio licensed use), but it is illegal to run a 10 meter radio on CB channels. the CB will most likely come with 4 watts power (although you can get it peaked and tuned by a CB shop and make 3 or 4 times that power), most 10 meter radios come with 10 to 25 watts power and can also get peaked and tuned for higher power output. The thing that I prefer the most about the 10 meter radios is that you can 'listen' on police bands, government bands, etc.
All of this being said, YES - it is illegal to operate a CB with more than 4 watts output power, YES - it is illegal to operate a HAM/10 meter radio on CB channels (1-40). Buuuttt...I personally ran a Galaxy DX959 10 meter radio, with approximately 15 watts output...and a TEXAS STAR linear amplifier pushing a 1,000 watts - I could consistently talk about 25-30 miles (assuming someone on the other end had the power to talk back). I drove all over the country and used my radio frequently, I never got harassed by the FCC but, I also didn't act like an ass talking over people all the time and keying up just to cause problems. Definitely heard some interesting traffic/conversations scanning through the side bands ....Just my opinion
Probably 90% of the serious CBers are running 10meter radios. There is literally no enforcement not that TV is digital and radio waves don’t bother reception. No complaints...
Some of the real heavy hitters in CB DX have diesel generators pulled behind their mobile rigs to power the wattage to talk coast to coast. Major competitions in some areas, advertised but not one FCC cop ever around.
You know what channels to check out? Not that I’d have that kinda radio putting out 36 watts and a real good antenna with a good match or anything. LOL

I was thinking about getting into ham radio until I read it's based on line of sight the handheld radios are only good as far as you can see and we live in a very hilly area.
Then when you get the license for the ham radio you sign away your rights to the 4th amendment warrantless search from what I understand
No they would still have to have PC to bother you. Military and commercial stuff is all digitalized now and they could care less.

Probably 90% of the serious CBers are running 10meter radios. There is literally no enforcement not that TV is digital and radio waves don’t bother reception. No complaints...
Some of the real heavy hitters in CB DX have diesel generators pulled behind their mobile rigs to power the wattage to talk coast to coast. Major competitions in some areas, advertised but not one FCC cop ever around.
You know what channels to check out? Not that I’d have that kinda radio putting out 36 watts and a real good antenna with a good match or anything. LOL
You can visit - https://ccrane.com/ssb-frequency-lists/ . I haven't ran one for about 15 years now, but I think about putting a new one in my truck quite often, I do however keep several of the Baofeng UV-5R8W radios in my truck all the time.

You can visit - https://ccrane.com/ssb-frequency-lists/ . I haven't ran one for about 15 years now, but I think about putting a new one in my truck quite often, I do however keep several of the Baofeng UV-5R8W radios in my truck all the time.
I have a Galaxy DX66V that I run, it’s been converted. Bout a zillion channels and I just run one 99% of the time. LOL

Back
Top Bottom