• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham or CB radio?

I have a Galaxy DX66V that I run, it’s been converted. Bout a zillion channels and I just run one 99% of the time. LOL
LOL...I used to drive all over the country doing construction work, I'd literally spend hours scanning from channel to channel just to see what I could hear...but always went back to channel 19 for my every day communication.

But as to the OP.
I’m planing to install a base station and mobiles, along with handhelds.

I have a couple sets of business class ham radios, I’m going to experiment with, but I’d trade them for CB stuff. It’s just what I know and don’t want the learning curve right now. Maybe if I could ever retire.

I have a couple of boefengs, however you spell that, most are the UV5R’s. But also have some of the 8 W handhelds.

I tried an external antenna, threw some parachute cord up over a pine limb, drug the cable antenna up in the tree about 30 or 40 feet, while I was south east of Macon, at my old hunting lease, and easily listened to truckers in Fulton County Atlanta.

But that was using the external rolled up portable antenna.

Straight through the woods in the cohutta mountains, I get about 1.5 miles, including going through the first hill. About twice as good as I can get with any FMRS Motorola.

So range is much better than just actual line of sight. But elevation helps a lot. Range is way improved if you can get some elevation or pull in antenna up in a tree.

Ran a CB for years, then moved over to a 10 meter radio. I personally wouldn't waste my time with a standard CB (unless you are just using it for fun), the 10 meter radio has substantially more channels (although those channels are identified for amateur radio licensed use), but it is illegal to run a 10 meter radio on CB channels. the CB will most likely come with 4 watts power (although you can get it peaked and tuned by a CB shop and make 3 or 4 times that power), most 10 meter radios come with 10 to 25 watts power and can also get peaked and tuned for higher power output. The thing that I prefer the most about the 10 meter radios is that you can 'listen' on police bands, government bands, etc.
All of this being said, YES - it is illegal to operate a CB with more than 4 watts output power, YES - it is illegal to operate a HAM/10 meter radio on CB channels (1-40). Buuuttt...I personally ran a Galaxy DX959 10 meter radio, with approximately 15 watts output...and a TEXAS STAR linear amplifier pushing a 1,000 watts - I could consistently talk about 25-30 miles (assuming someone on the other end had the power to talk back). I drove all over the country and used my radio frequently, I never got harassed by the FCC but, I also didn't act like an ass talking over people all the time and keying up just to cause problems. Definitely heard some interesting traffic/conversations scanning through the side bands ....Just my opinion

I thought I read somewhere that Russians or Eastern Europeans were using 10 meter like CB and messing it up for everyone.

I thought I read somewhere that Russians or Eastern Europeans were using 10 meter like CB and messing it up for everyone.
Not an accurate statement, other than access to additional frequencies/channels the only primary difference is additional wattage/power. Yes, the additional wattage will 'talk over' radios with less power, however, anyone that uses a CB as a means of every-day communication (e.g., truck drivers) will NOT be running a factory configured CB...they are almost always peaked and tuned for maximum power output - 10 plus watts over factory/legal (4 watts being the minimum that most are configured for). The 'airwaves' are not what they used to be, there is so much radio traffic nowadays that it is difficult to talk more than a mile or two on a factory radio (unless you're talking skip)..

Back
Top Bottom