• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

I still have no radio. I am having a hard time justifying the $$$ for the HF base, power supply, and antenna/install that I would like. So, I may end up with an HT as a starter unit as a way of wading in to the water to see if I really want to take the plunge.

Some of the HT's sound pretty interesting. Some will allow SWL and can be easily modified for MURS, FSR, GMRS and will receive Weather Channels, and AM & FM broadcast.

I figure I live about 5 miles, as the crow flies, from a UHF HAM repeater. There are trees in the path. Any idea if I would be able to hit that repeater from my house?

Unless there is a mountain between you & the repeater you should be able to hit it from 5 miles away easily with a 5 watt HT. Amazon has Baofeng UV5R’s for around $25. It would be a fairly cheap experiment.
Trees, leaves, and even fog and rain will block UHF. It’s still an inexpensive experiment.

I took the plunge. I ordered a Yaesu FT5D hand held VHF/UHF transceiver. Ham Radio Outlet is where I ordered it. Along with the radio, I purchased a Diamond high gain HT antenna and a battery holder that allows AA batteries to power the unit in case of an emergency.

This may be my first and last HAM radio, or in a few years I may get an HF base. Time will tell.

I took the plunge. I ordered a Yaesu FT5D hand held VHF/UHF transceiver. Ham Radio Outlet is where I ordered it. Along with the radio, I purchased a Diamond high gain HT antenna and a battery holder that allows AA batteries to power the unit in case of an emergency.

This may be my first and last HAM radio, or in a few years I may get an HF base. Time will tell.
Did you get the cool, orange, belt clip as well? ;)

Good for you and welcome to the club! I have a number of Heathkits and other radios from my dads shack and other hams who have dropped off their unwanted stuff. I'm looking to get out of the shack business and just rely on HT. I'm thinking I'll inventory my equipment and see if there is any interest in new hams - or old hams - taking this stuff off my hands.

Back
Top Bottom