• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

I've wanted to get my license since I was a kid and it's always been a time or a money thing that's prevented it from happening.
For now, I'm just messing around with RTL SDR on my laptop. Not transmitting of course, just looking around.

I've wanted to get my license since I was a kid and it's always been a time or a money thing that's prevented it from happening.
For now, I'm just messing around with RTL SDR on my laptop. Not transmitting of course, just looking around.
explain to me what that is... I've been away for a while.

Thought I would start a thread to see how many hams we might have on here. I've been inactive for the last 30 years and I just got a new 2meter rig and looking forward to getting back into the hobby as I near my retirement.

Lee
WA4TNF
General class here. Been licensed since 1989. Waiting for cooler weather to get my HF rig installed in my new truck. I really enjoy working 40m & 15m mobile. 6m can be fun when it's open.

VHF & UHF are not nearly as active as they were in the 1980s & 1990s. Only 1 or 2 VHF repeaters that currently seem active in N. GA. 146.805 is used quite a bit.

DSTAR & DMR are pretty active, if you're into digital. I've found that I can't get into too many local repeaters with my HT. Range seems limited. You really need a hotspot (Zumspot, etc) if you're not close to a digital repeater. A Hotspot gives you basically a small repeater connected to the internet. Having a hotspot opens up a lot of possibilities if you want to work other hams over a broad geographical area. Several DSTAR/DMR reflectors are very active nationwide.

N4WFB

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

N5GWU General class since 1984. Some what active on HF on SSB and CW. Was active on Crete in 1982/83 with a Novice ticket as KA2PFV/SV9 Not active on 2 meters and not in any clubs or nets or any digital modes. Just rag chew when I wan to.

I got my Technician license about a month ago (KN4VSG) and have just been mainly listening to repeaters in my area on a Baofeng HT. I'm in Northern Gwinnett County and can hit the Sawnee Mountain repeater in Cumming, as well as Dahlonega, Gainesville, and sometimes Lawrenceville. I recently acquired a Kenwood TM-D710G mobile radio to install in my vehicle but still need a few things to get it setup.

DE K4ZRI General here.
I have an IC-7300, Yaesu FT-897 and a TYT-9800 in my shack. I'm thinking about selling the 897, just don't use it since I got the 7300.

BTW, the freaking HF bands are just abysmal!

Tech class here from Marietta. Studying for General in Oct. If the stars align, I'll try for Extra at same time. My vanity call sign is pending. I don't have a radio and am not sure how I ended up chasing my ham license.

Back
Top Bottom