• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

I have heard there is a Hamfest coming up soon in the Stone Mountain area. You will usually find testing going on at most Hamfest and they are usually looking for volunteer exam givers. Might want to start looking there. I don't believe there are any fixed testing sites any longer.
Cliff/N5GWU
Stone Mountain Fest is this weekend, Nov 2 & 3 at the Gwinnett County Fairgrounds in Lawrenceville. Gates open at 8 am both days. Testing usually starts around 8:30 and finishes around 10 am on Saturday.

The Stone Mountain fest has become my favorite in GA since the ARC fest got so small. I fondly remember going to the old ARC fest when it was held in the GWCC many years ago.

N4WFB

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

so im actually glad the OP had this thread. I want to get into HAM radio. What do you recommend for a Jeep setup and which unit/who can install it?
Like Shawn said, you might want to do a bit of study before committing to a rig and/or band. There are many options these days.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

i dont have a license. like to try. where do i start?
Well, there are practice exams you can take online to find out exactly what you do and don't know. Frankly, a lot of hams study for the exams not really study to absorb the technical information. Some keep pursuing the knowledge, others just jump on the air and frankly, make mistakes (that can actually damage equipment and reputation).

https://hamexam.org/
Some HAM radio clubs and meetings:
http://www.gars.org/gars/local-club-meetings/

Thought I would start a thread to see how many hams we might have on here. I've been inactive for the last 30 years and I just got a new 2meter rig and looking forward to getting back into the hobby as I near my retirement.

Lee
WA4TNF

General class, but not very active. I'm planning to make some adjustments to my attic dipole on Saturday. There's an SSB contest this Saturday evening from 7:00 p.m. until 10:59 p.m. (0000 UTC - 0359 UTC). https://ssbsprint.com That might be a good opportunity to test my handiwork.

KB3GDD

The sprint didn't work out -- my homemade antenna just didn't cut it. I considered some options to improve it, but it was less costly to buy a complete kit than the separate components I'd need. Tomorrow I should have an MFJ G5RV Junior (52' long) and I'll be content that my home brew will focus on the attic installation. Hope I don't fall through the ceiling! I'll orient it less North-South and more Northwest-Southeast and maybe that'll help some also. This thread partly helped to renew my interest.

The sprint didn't work out -- my homemade antenna just didn't cut it. I considered some options to improve it, but it was less costly to buy a complete kit than the separate components I'd need. Tomorrow I should have an MFJ G5RV Junior (52' long) and I'll be content that my home brew will focus on the attic installation. Hope I don't fall through the ceiling! I'll orient it less North-South and more Northwest-Southeast and maybe that'll help some also. This thread partly helped to renew my interest.
Can I assume you live in an HOA?

FWIW, a wire that stretches across your yard is VERY hard to see from any distance. Not sure what your limitations are but where I live, the HOA is freaking picky but they haven't seen my antenna.

Back
Top Bottom