• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ham Radio People Metro ATL

I have a 5 watt HT. I installed a Diamond brand high gain dual-band antenna. It definitely works better than the original rubber duck. I was wondering if I would see a performance increase if I purchased a mag mount antenna and set it on a pizza pan - for use inside my house.

What do you think? Do you have any recommendations as to antenna brand and model? My radio has an SMA antenna connector, but I have an SMA to BNC adapter that I use with the Diamond antenna.

I use a diamond MR77 on my truck. It’s a dual band mag mount & it performs surprisingly well. I would highly recommend that antenna. A buddy has good results with the same antenna on top of a filing cabinet in his office. As with all radio/antenna combinations there will be variables, but you should notice an increase in performance.

I have a 5 watt HT. I installed a Diamond brand high gain dual-band antenna. It definitely works better than the original rubber duck. I was wondering if I would see a performance increase if I purchased a mag mount antenna and set it on a pizza pan - for use inside my house.

What do you think? Do you have any recommendations as to antenna brand and model? My radio has an SMA antenna connector, but I have an SMA to BNC adapter that I use with the Diamond antenna.

Adding a ground plane usually helps. I find the tops of fridges or the below window wall mount HVAC units in hotel rooms useful for that too.

Got my license in November last year. Rig at the house is an IC-7610 and a Yaesu FT-101ZD Mk0. I have an AL-811 (want to upgrade to something 1kW-1500w), and an MFJ-986 switching between a DX Commander Classic, Gap Titan DX on a 35 ft tilt over homebrew mast, and an 80m OCF-Dipole. Just getting started with my mobile set up. Trying to squeeze an IC-7300 into my truck and using hamsticks for now. Would like to get a Tarheel.

On 7.225 Mon-Sat at 9am is the Country Hams Net, I can usually be found there Mon-Wed and Sat with my current school schedule.

Got my license in November last year. Rig at the house is an IC-7610 and a Yaesu FT-101ZD Mk0. I have an AL-811 (want to upgrade to something 1kW-1500w), and an MFJ-986 switching between a DX Commander Classic, Gap Titan DX on a 35 ft tilt over homebrew mast, and an 80m OCF-Dipole. Just getting started with my mobile set up. Trying to squeeze an IC-7300 into my truck and using hamsticks for now. Would like to get a Tarheel.

On 7.225 Mon-Sat at 9am is the Country Hams Net, I can usually be found there Mon-Wed and Sat with my current school schedule.
What's your call sign?

Are you running a 7300 as a mobile 40m rig? I thought that was more of a base station style radio rather than a mobile rig. More power (pun intended,) to you if you can make it work. :). I’d love to see pictures of that rig once you have it running in your truck.

Back
Top Bottom