• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hammerli SAA 357 Magnum

Short barrel shoots like a champ. Front sight is just right. At 10m or so draw a bead with the rear sight aligned on the under cut of the front sight and the swingers swing every time with 38s. So, It'll be time to finish the front sight soon and pinch it like the Remington sight. I'm pretty pleased with this lil gun. Time to get some 357s and try it out.

Reactions: JWC
These are the replacement Gen 3 Firing pins, floating pin style. Just like whats in both hammerli revolvers. Diameter is right. Hole location for pin and balls are correct, though somewhat different (smaller, which is good) but useable with a resizing of the pin hole. As for the distance from pin hole to tip....no good. They are both 10 thou shorter than the broken tip of the long barreled gun. So. Have to go old school.

Option one is to drill out the pin on a new firing pin and replace with a proper length section of drill rod, red lock tight is fine, solder can work too. Typically a two piece firing pin like this never breaks. Used to do them this way quite often for Favorites, Rollers and Hi/Low Walls.

Option two is to spin a new one up from a grade 5 or 8 bolt or a chunk of LaSalle Fatigue Proof steel. All three are wonderful for firing pins, again, having use them many times in the past, including as new tips for the u-shaped Sharps rifle pin tips.

But for now, I think tomorrow nigh I'll get rolling on a final bluing of Young Man....decided to try to make him all Rust Blue instead of brown and blue. With luck, that handgun will be done by the weekend.

Tonight though, I'm going to clean the short barreled Hammerli. Had it to the range, it just needs its front sight removed, pinched and screwed back on, but its a keeper....for now.

i.imgur.com_IIauBbo.jpg

I think the short barreled one is done.

Took off the front sight to finish pinching it, Remington style.

i.imgur.com_OnujVFk.jpg

Sight polished and back on, the sail on top is what go's above the rear sight to put the bullet on out to 10-20 yards or so....about 1/3 of the sight height above the rear sight is the way these were meant to be sighted with shorter barrels. About half the sight high with the long barrels.

i.imgur.com_jHJPYIy.jpg

The sight picture....easy and quick to pick up.

i.imgur.com_CahlnMN.jpg

Everything cleaned up, polished, antiqued and done.

i.imgur.com_VcrSjlJ.jpg

i.imgur.com_DvD6muR.jpg

i.imgur.com_Pgt55Mt.jpg

i.imgur.com_Ip8TvAf.jpg

Nice, those grips and the color case hardening are beautiful on it. Love me some six shooters with the shorter barrels and case hardening colors. I have an early model Vaquero in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel & black buffalo horn grips my Dad gave me for my birthday back in the 90's, by far one of my favorite guns of all time. Looks like you've done a great job personalizing your six shooter, oh yeah, I agree 100% on fanning these guns. That's not good for them and actually kinda dangerous to do too.

Nice, those grips and the color case hardening are beautiful on it. Love me some six shooters with the shorter barrels and case hardening colors. I have an early model Vaquero in .45 Colt with a 4 5/8" barrel & black buffalo horn grips my Dad gave me for my birthday back in the 90's, by far one of my favorite guns of all time. Looks like you've done a great job personalizing your six shooter, oh yeah, I agree 100% on fanning these guns. That's not good for them and actually kinda dangerous to do too.

The original Vaq is a dandy! Specially in colors.

I need to finish young man this week. Then I can pay attention to the long tom hammerli. It needs just a firing pin and a good cleaning yet I think. But, I want to be able to dive into it for a bout 3 hours straight, not 20 mins here and there. Just can't do that focus till the other is rust bluing project is done.

2 lb 2 oz trigger on shorty. Love it. Didn't have to do any work. The inside of these guns is amazing. No internal polish to do, hand window is reasonably tool mark free, no roughness, etc. Its like they were Swiss made machines. Way far better than any of the eyetalian ones I've ever seen/owned/fixed/thrown hard onto a suitable concrete surface, etc.

Firing pin repair on the Hammerli on the right compared to an unbroken and swiss original generation 3 colt style floating firing pin on the Hammerli on the left. Old broken tip drilled out and a section of good drill rod soldered into place and fitted. All is well.

i.imgur.com_0PMzv7K.jpg

A fine looking pare of brothers to come back together for a while. 47 digits difference in serial numbers. Probably the last time they were together was on the assembly line is Switzerland way back in the late 60s.

Very cool.

i.imgur.com_BclV3TC.jpg

i.imgur.com_eMfBxC2.jpg

i.imgur.com_cOVR2bM.jpg

i.imgur.com_AeAwLpu.jpg

Back
Top Bottom